true crypt...

CaveMan

i was thinking... would it be possible to make a program that executes when a USB device is plugged in that makes truecrypt password the device automatically with a predefined password?

eg

USB device goes on

Program autoruns

USB device is passworded to something that the computer owner knows

forcing the USB device to be locked and cant be opened without a password

• 2 weeks later...

@ CaveMan

Just tryin to make sure I understand this correctly. Are you saying your wanting to basically password the usb device that way no matter what usb port on any pc it is inserted into, the user will be prompted with a password just to access the drive?

If so I have been curious about the same thing and would like to know possibilities. Not just for USB for any type of drive. Instead of just encrypting all the data it would be nice if we could just password protect a drive.

If so I have been curious about the same thing and would like to know possibilities. Not just for USB for any type of drive. Instead of just encrypting all the data it would be nice if we could just password protect a drive.

How would "just password protect a drive." stop you from getting the data off it if it isn't encypted?

No I wasn't saying nothing about getting data off the drive. I'm just curious if there is a way to password protect the drive so it's in-accessible without entering a password.

For example say I lost one of my flash drives or forgot it at my friends house and he wanted to see what was on it. He goes to stick it in and try's to access it/view the contents and he's prompted with a password.

True. I guess why I asked is because I was using AxCrypt. It could be a bit time consuming to encrypt all the data sometimes, so I was wonderin hmmm... if I can just put a password on the drive I wouldn't need to encrypt the data. I haven't messed with true crypt yet, but I will this weekend. Is it possible to password protect the drive or any drive alone?

TrueCrypt can encrypt a partition. So, yes you could encrypt the whole usb drive.

However, if you do this then TrueCrypt has to be on every machine you want to open the encrypted files.

Here is what I did:

My USB Drive Structure:

[TrueCrypt] = Folder

@ = True Crypt File 1 gig in size

mount.bat = Batch script used to mount file

dismount.bat = Batch script to dismount file

Contents of mount.bat

@echo off

:: Mount TrueCrypt Drive L

TrueCryptTrueCrypt.exe /q /a /lL /m rm /v "@"

So, when I insert my USB drive, I run mount.bat. TrueCrypt opens the file and a password dialog box pops up. I input my password and TrueCrypt mounts the encrypted file as drive L. Then I do all my private work on drive L. When Im done I just run dismount.

Contents of dismount.bat

@echo off

:: Dismount All TrueCrypt Drives

TrueCryptTrueCrypt.exe /q /d

Now, you can actually put TrueCrypt in the loader with an autorun.inf to call the batch. This way, as soon as you put in the usb drive you get a password prompt.

I didnt do this as I use my USB drive for everything, not just my personal files.

I just want to point out that this'll still require you to be an admin on the computer you're using. TrueCrypt uses a driver so it can create virtual drives and perform transparent encryption. As far as XP is concerned, only administrators can add/remove drivers. So if you want to use this on a computer with a limited account, you're SOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...