Did I Fry My Pineapple? help!

xstormx

Hi everyone,

So its been about a year since I have even had time to look at my wifi pineapple mark IV so please bear with me if the details are not so exact. Last place I left off I was having a few issues with my pineapple, so I decided to just re-flash it. I plugged in my serial connections and all of the sudden on the last one I plugged in BAM... my wifi pineapple was out, and has not turned on since. I wish I could tell you which serial connection it was that made it shut off but I cannot remember, anyways from the info provided what went wrong? Is a major component fried and is it considered toast? Or is it a simple solder and fix type of deal? Thanks!

Did you plug in the VCC/VDD ? If so, yes, its fried.

I may have... I am NOT good at all with serial connectors and going into this I wasn't really aware of what I was doing, I was being kind of stupid and in a hurry to get it fixed. Doesn't the flashing instructions call for a plug into the VDD though?

Edited by Cody Theodore

I may have... I am NOT good at all with serial connectors and going into this I wasn't really aware of what I was doing, I was being kind of stupid and in a hurry to get it fixed. Doesn't the flashing instructions call for a plug into the VDD though?

Wow, never mind, when preforming this I was following the video on this page https://wifipineapple.com/?flashing. Which depicts the VDD being plugged IN. Where on this page https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk4guidemaccleanflashserial It does clearly state in red to NOT plug in the VDD.

Yes, Mr-Protocol, The guy who made that video, has the official Alfa Debug Board, so he was able to also keep his VDD in, however, I suspect you didn't do it with the official Alfa kit.

I'm sorry to say your pineapple has been bricked :/

Yah I was just using a usb Uart serial connector:/ ahah looks like i'm in the market for a new pineapple, thanks for the info though!

What Foxtrot said is correct. I have the Alfa console board which plugs in all the pins which is shown in the video. The github wiki is also written by me says not to use the VDD if you are using a non Afla UART. The wiki link (Mac version) you posted left out some critical details, which is a modified version of my orginal instructions: https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk4guidecleanflashserial

UART Adaptors

There are many USB/Serial to UART adapters out there. The author of the video below (Mr-Protocol) used the Alfa Console Board. Any 3.3v capable UART adapter should work. Check the adapter specifications before buying. You can also buy a UART Adaptor from the Hakshop.

If you are not using the Alfa Console Board, You only need to hook up the TX, RX, GND pins to your UART adapter. DO NOT hook up the VDD pin to your adapter.

What Foxtrot said is correct. I have the Alfa console board which plugs in all the pins which is shown in the video. The github wiki is also written by me says not to use the VDD if you are using a non Afla UART. The wiki link (Mac version) you posted left out some critical details, which is a modified version of my orginal instructions: https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk4guidecleanflashserial

Thanks! I will defiantly be more precise next time I reflash (which I hopefully wont have to do). Let me just reconfirm since you were talking about flashing instructions, my pineapple is dead because I plugged in the VDD correct? As in its not bricked, its broken?

You can attempt to follow the proper procedure to see if you can get any type of communication from it. If you see the boot loader giving readable information and loads up fine, it should be ok. But if not, the hardware has damage. Keep in mind the other notes on non-alfa UART from the wiki about the TX and RX pins. Also COM settings, etc.

You can attempt to follow the proper procedure to see if you can get any type of communication from it. If you see the boot loader giving readable information and loads up fine, it should be ok. But if not, the hardware has damage. Keep in mind the other notes on non-alfa UART from the wiki about the TX and RX pins. Also COM settings, etc.

I somehow lost the AC power adapter:/ do you think the blue LED would not light up if the pineapple was fried? or do the LED'S not matter if the Pineapple is bricked? because the last thing I can remember was that my pineapple did not light up when I plugged it in. Idk if that matters at all, just thought i'd ask before having to order another power adapter.