Do I need an external computer to make the Pineapple connect to the internet?

janekong

Can the wifi apple connect to internet (through wifi) without needing an external computer/laptop?

I got the getting started tutorial and I read that you need to share the wifi connection from your computer/laptop to Wifi pineapple using the LAN cable.

But why can't I just connect to a wifihotspot (I know the password of the hotspot) and then just share the internet connection from the wifihotspot I just connected with, with my Wifi Pineapple?

Why do I need to share the internet connection through my laptop/computer?

So, why: 'Pineapple -> laptop -> internet'. And 'internet -> laptop -> Pineapple'?

And not just: 'Pineapple -> internet'. 'internet -> Pineapple '?

Well if you use the internal wireless adapter of the Pineapple to connect to a wifi hotspot you can no longer use karma or certain other services that run on the default wlan0 of the wifi pineapple. If you wish to connect to a wireless network with the pineapple and without a laptop you will need an external wireless adapter to connect to the wifi hotspot and that will allow you to use karma and all other services on the pineapple.

This would be a great external adapter to buy.. its supported hardware for the pineapple. http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/alfa-usb-wifi-awus036nha

janekong,

Let me see if I get this right. You want to use the Pineapple's internal wifi antenna to connect to a Hotspot and use the pineapple to share that internet connection.... While that is possible you'd only be able to share internet to the pineapples ethernet ports or to another wireless (Alfa) card connected via USB which essentially creates a bridge. You don't have to share it via a laptop ICS connection but deathdealerxx is correct that if you don't it limits what you can do with the pineapple because it only comes with one antenna.

Thank you. But how should I do the portforwarding. I couldn't find any tutorial mentioning the setup with this usb-wifi adapter.

How you tried the portforwarding yourself before?

PS: Is this antenna is the Pineapple pro bundle?

Well if you use the internal wireless adapter of the Pineapple to connect to a wifi hotspot you can no longer use karma or certain other services that run on the default wlan0 of the wifi pineapple. If you wish to connect to a wireless network with the pineapple and without a laptop you will need an external wireless adapter to connect to the wifi hotspot and that will allow you to use karma and all other services on the pineapple.

This would be a great external adapter to buy.. its supported hardware for the pineapple. http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/alfa-usb-wifi-awus036nha

Edited by janekong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I tried to embed that but it didn't work... It's a video I made of the Network Manager Infusion. No sound but I use the mouse to highlight the major sections of the Network manager tab and how to get a WLAN1 Alfa to connect to an Access Point.