Favorite Books Thread

Lost In Cyberia

Hey everyone, after seeing a few random book threads about, I figured we could start a definitive one. As a big science fiction fan, and someone who enjoys the lost art of a good novel, I hope this will take off. I don't have much time to read physical books anymore, so while I'm at my hour gym workout, I listen to audio books. ( Audible.com for the much deserved recommendation. )

I find myself gravitating towards science fiction, and non fiction. Books like 1984, Game of Thrones, Science Fiction & Philosophy, Fight Club, Thomas Hobb's Leviathan, The Once and Future King, most H.P Lovecraft, round out my list of favorites.

I recently read Kevin Mitnik's "Ghost in the wires". Good stuff, if a bit fantastical at times.

So I turn the thread over to you all, what are some of your favorite books, and genres? Favorite hacking books? Hopefully we can swap, and inspire book ideas

My Favorites:

Ready Player One - The earth sucks so everybody spends all of their time in an MMO. Dude who created the MMO dies and all members of the MMO participate in a contest to win his empire. Tons of 80's references and very fast paced book.

Cuckoo's Egg - True story of a science nerd's encounter with a hacker in the early days of the internet. One of my favorite books period.

Cryptonomicon - A bunch of different stories that take place in different periods of time involving WWII, digital currency, submarines, cryptography and more.

Neuromancer - The author of this book coined the term, "cyberpunk". Story involving hacking in the future.

Hitchhiker's Guide Series - I don't need to bother to describe these books do I?

Shadow Divers - True story about some divers who discover a wreck off the coast of New Jersey. The wreck is in very, very deep water and they decide to dive it in an attempt to identify the ship. I listened to this on audio and, at times, sat in my parked car listening to it.

I normally read non-fiction exclusively (if I can't learn from it, it wasn't worth my time). But my girlfriend had me read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother. It was an interesting tale about the City of San Fransisco being turned upside down after the Bay Bridge blew up. The protagonist uses the internet and information technology to fight against a surveillance state, and the author really tried to incorporate real working technologies (asymmetric cryptography, Tor) into this story.

I've been wanting to look into more of Doctorow's novels. When it comes to literature, I'm a very closed minded person, and rarely read a story to entertain myself.

Cryptonomicon - A bunch of different stories that take place in different periods of time involving WWII, digital currency, submarines, cryptography and more.

Neuromancer - The author of this book coined the term, "cyberpunk". Story involving hacking in the future.

The cryptonomicon sounds good, i'll look into it. And who can forget one of the most influential cyberpunk novels, Neuromancer..

I normally read non-fiction exclusively (if I can't learn from it, it wasn't worth my time).

That's a slightly skewed angle to view it. While I read non fiction as well, you can get idea's, inspiration and knowledge from fiction as well. Considering most artists are influenced by other artists, you shouldn't just shrug it off.

I think i'm going to pick this one up next, once I get my credit for the month:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=pd_ref=sr_c1_3_t?asin=B0085ESX34

It's about, anonymous, lulzsect, and political hacktivism.

I think i'm going to pick this one up next, once I get my credit for the month:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=pd_ref=sr_c1_3_t?asin=B0085ESX34

It's about, anonymous, lulzsect, and political hacktivism.

I just stuck Ghost in the Wires on my Kindle; let me know how the Anon book is and, if you think it's any good, I'll read that one next. After that, maybe "Dad is Fat".

I just stuck Ghost in the Wires on my Kindle; let me know how the Anon book is and, if you think it's any good, I'll read that one next. After that, maybe "Dad is Fat".

About 2 hours into the Anonymous book, and I can say, it's pretty good. It reads like part history of 4chan, part history of anonymous and part thriller. While I don't know how much of it is fact and how much of it has been embellished through the author's sources, it is still a fine read. It explains much backstory just in case you're not up on the lingo of boards like 4chan. Definitely recommended.

It explains much backstory just in case you're not up on the lingo of boards like 4chan.

Oh, I have their lingo down pat; it's just various combinations of either of two nasty slurs. Am I right? Thanks for the update on the anon book, I'll add it to my growing list. So I'm assuming you've already read Cuckoo's Egg? First and best of this genre in my opinion.

Hooray a book thread! I have a goodreads account that I keep updated with my newly read / want to read books. Here is my account: http://www.goodreads.com/snubs

Current read: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Recently read that rocks: Game of Thrones, Ender's Game, and some of the Sookie Stackhouse novels.

Here's a list I like:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/c-t-tech-talk/suggested-reading-technology-and-programming/t.69647195_1/

A lot of the books on the list are technical non-fiction, but there's also some good fiction on the list. Basically, whatever we felt was important for someone to read to be well versed in both the science and culture of programming.

Hooray a book thread! I have a goodreads account that I keep updated with my newly read / want to read books. Here is my account: http://www.goodreads.com/snubs

Current read: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Recently read that rocks: Game of Thrones, Ender's Game, and some of the Sookie Stackhouse novels.

I'm adding you snubs! My goodreads account is still very basic... still fiddling around with it, to find my way around.

my good reads account is: http://www.goodreads.com/OrwellianControl

add me !

Edited by Lost In Cyberia