Questions about Karma in Pineapple Mark IV

samiux

Hi all,

I am very impressed by the WiFi Pineapple. I decided to build one myself as the original one is quite expensive for me.

I build my DIY Pineapple with TP-Link MR3020 pocket router with a 8GB USB pendrive and OpenWrt. The steps and procedure is here.

I just make it up and have no time to test it fully. Today, I try to test the Karma in my DIY Pineapple but I encounter the following problem :

For the Karma, I expected that the rouge access point that making by Karma will accept all connections from the nearby victim devices when they are turning on their wifi and looking for their desired networks. However, my TP-Link MR3020 does not working as I expected.

How it does not work?

I have a WPA2 CCMP encrypted access point and her SSID is HelloWorld. My DIY Pineapple's Karma SSID is OpenWrt without any encryption (open).

When I create a new network "OpenWrt" on my Android phone, my phone does not connect to the OpenWrt but connected to HellowWorld instead as I connected to it before.

Secondary, I need to connect to OpenWrt manually. I disabled the wifi function on my phone and then enabled it again. My phone will connect to the OpenWrt automatically even I have connected to Helloworld before.

Thirdly, even the HelloWorld is turned off, my phone cannot connect to OpenWrt automatically if it is not connected to it before.

My questions are :

(1) How can the Karma on my DIY Pineapple to pick up all the connections from the nearby victim devices even they do not connect to my Pineapple SSID manually?

(2) Do I misunderstand the function or feature of Karma? Or, my DIY Pineapple is not working properly only?

Thanks.

Samiux

Edited by samiux

@Sebkinne,

Would you mind pointing out the incomplete and error parts so as I can try to fix it?

Thanks.

Samiux

Hi samiux,

I was working on a similar project for the WR703n. When I saw your thread, I decided to use your method of unpacking the squashfs and then copying files over.

As an FYI, if I copy the /lib/firmware contents from pineapple firmware over, then the device never boots up. I didn't look to see what this firmware is for, but I suspect maybe for the 3G modems?

Regarding karma, is it working on your device? For mine, I started karma, then used my phone to try to connect to a phony network such as "testing123" and it didn't get connect. Did you encounter this on your set up?

@dustbyter,

The /lib/firmware is not for USB 3G dongle. I think it is not necessary as in my TL-MR3020, it is empty, so I copy the files to it and it got no harm. If the TL-WR703N is not empty, I think do NOT copy over it.

For the Karma, it is working on my device only for OPEN network. Meanwhile, my Android 4.0.4 does not send out probe requests, so it does not work. My old iPod touch working for open network only. But you need to select the previous connected open network manually in order to connect to Karma.

I did not test the Ubuntu and Windows 7 with automatically connect to the network feature. I will keep you for the information about this.

Samiux

Things seem to be moving along now. I just reset my wifi settings and renamed the SSID. :)

As it was acting up I performed the below steps

cd /etc/config
mv wireless wireless.bak
wifi detect > wireless

Then renamed the access point through the pineapple interface.

The above behavior you have listed is expected.

The behavior now is that my device connected to the pineapple gets an IP assigned correctly as defined per the DHCP rules.

From the pineapple I can traceroute and ping servers on the internet, but the device does not have any internet connectivity.

@dustbyter,

What guide do you follow? Or, how you set it up? If you follow this guide, it does not work unless you change the DNS at /etc/config/dhcp to 172.16.42.42.

However, my guide works perfectly without any editing or changing of the configure file. You can follow it but replace the firmware of OpenWrt with the WR-703N.

Samiux

Edited by samiux

@dustbyter,

IMO, please do NOT follow this guide to build your own WiFi Pineapple as it is not correct and the Karma does not function as expected. You can follow my guide and I tested the Karma which is 100% functioning as expected.

You just replace the instruction for installing the OpenWrt firmware from MR3020 to WR703N. Others should be remained the same.

Samiux

Hey Samiux,

I never said I followed the guide from Penturalabs, that article was just the inspiration. When I get some time I'll run both my original pineapple and this tplink and compare the configs to see what is different.

As I mentioned, the tplink assigns IP's correctly gives the gateway, etc just traffic doesn't get routed out to the internet, so I'll have to check into that.

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for the guide, I used it loosely but it helped tremendously! Also I would like to point out where you said on the guide "Some infusions (or modules) cannot be installed as it required to install to USB storage but you have not." if you create in the root of the file-system a directory called usb then opkg can still install dependencies into there fixing the problem with some infusions.

PS: I did this for the TP-LINK TL-WR703N revisions 1.6

Edited by newbi3

@newbi3,

I created a directory "/usb" at the root directory "/", but the module "mitm" still cannot be installed.

Any idea?

Samiux

I just looked over the code and it is checking if a flash drive is in the device with

mount | grep "on /usb"
so what you could do is either change how it is detecting a flash drive in the device or you could create a partition on the cruzer fit and mount it in /usb. I think the second option is the best personally.

@newbi3,

Yeah, your solution is the best, I think. Thanks for your advise. I will try it later.

Samiux

• 7 months later...

Hey! After the DHCP client step, I am trying to connect to the mr-3020 via ssh, but the error message says it's "Unable to connect to remote host:Connection refused". Was there anything wrong with those steps? and are there any caveats to this Jasegar version on the mr-3020. FYI: This is going to be used for my senior project on cyber-security.

http://samiux.blogspot.hk/2013/05/howto-tp-link-tl-mr3020-as-wifi.html

Edited by jj_4884

Hey! After the DHCP client step, I am trying to connect to the mr-3020 via ssh, but the error message says it's "Unable to connect to remote host:Connection refused". Was there anything wrong with those steps? and are there any caveats to this Jasegar version on the mr-3020. FYI: This is going to be used for my senior project on cyber-security.

http://samiux.blogspot.hk/2013/05/howto-tp-link-tl-mr3020-as-wifi.html

The version of the software mentioned does matter. Other version may not work. The tutorial is workable if you followed it step by step. However, this howto is for the old version of Pineapple Mark IV only.

By the way, Pineapple is only work for any "victim" who has been connected to any open wifi network (without password). It is very rare nowadays. Most so-called free wifi networks have passwords to login. So, Pineapple is useless and it is not so powerful.

Samiux