PPTPd

Nerdonite

Hey guys, I wanted to install pptpd on my wifi pineapple. I use it at home as a router, and when I'm out of the city and want my home IP, I would like to connect to it.

I usually do this with an old laptop running Ubuntu, but it uses quite a lot of power, and I have to let it open for the entire time I'm gone.

Now, with my Pineapple, first off, I can either run it on batteries (though not recommended if I leave town for a day :D) or on the wall adapter. It also uses less energy.

However, when I've tried to install the "pptpd" package with opkg, I get:

Collected errors:

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for pptp:
* kernel (= 3.7.9-1-1330a58d23bacdfe88b5915ab311c608) * kernel (= 3.7.91-1330a58d23bacdfe88b5915ab311c608) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package pptpd.

How do I upgrade my kernel? Is there any way to do this without an UART device? And if yes, could you point me to an url from where I can download the right kernel version for my Pineapple?

Also, please keep in mind that I need the functionality of the Pineapple (infusion, monitoring, etc), while having support of PPTPd. I don't want to sacrifice one or another.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I wanted to install pptpd on my wifi pineapple. I use it at home as a router, and when I'm out of the city and want my home IP, I would like to connect to it.

I usually do this with an old laptop running Ubuntu, but it uses quite a lot of power, and I have to let it open for the entire time I'm gone.

Now, with my Pineapple, first off, I can either run it on batteries (though not recommended if I leave town for a day :D) or on the wall adapter. It also uses less energy.

How do I upgrade my kernel? Is there any way to do this without an UART device? And if yes, could you point me to an url from where I can download the right kernel version for my Pineapple?

Also, please keep in mind that I need the functionality of the Pineapple (infusion, monitoring, etc), while having support of PPTPd. I don't want to sacrifice one or another.

Thanks!

What version firmware are you running?

-Foxtrot

Thanks!

You will need to upgrade to firmware version 2.8.0 for stabilized packages.

I'm on 2.8.0. That's the first thing I did when I got my Pineapple :D Upgrading & opkg infusion installation...

So is there a way to install the right kernel version to support PPTPd without losing support for current infusions / without UART cable?

I've managed to install it and configure it to route the traffic using:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

The IP of the Pineapple is the DMZ Host in my main router, and the Pineapple is connected via ethernet to the router.

I can check that ports from the Pineapple are visibile on the outside by going to my main router's external IP and seeing exactly what I type in the Phishing page editor. Eg: port 80 works from the outside.

However, when I disconnect my iPhone from my wireless network and try to connect to my router's external IP (which internally binds to the Pineapple), it gives a time out after about 15 seconds, without authentication failures or anything.

Just so you know, I've started the process manually after running that iptables command, and I can see the "pptpd" in the Resources list for the processes.

I also configured the pptpd.conf and chap-secrets like I would configure an ubuntu machine. I can copy that config if it's needed :)

How can I fix this? :(