Possible Fake Alfa Adapter From Hak Store?

alphax

I got the pineapple pro, which came with the alfa that does b/g/n.

However, it:

• Looks almost spray painted black
  • Has no alfa logo ANYWHERE.
  • No alfa name ANYWHERE.
  • No authenticity sticker.
  • Doesn't state the alfa model number.
  • No fcc id.
  • Sticker for mac/sn is completely different than the 036H.

And in comparison to my other alfa AWUS036H, not a single thing is removely alike short from the adapter's shell.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the cheap chinese knock-offs. In which case I'm going to be a bit upset.

Please advise.

There are more than one manufacturer of the same chipset card, so its very possible to get a generic model but if its internally the same components, drivers and chipset for it, it should perform the same. I know Darren works with different companies to get products from, some of which make custom versions of stuff for them, but if it doesn't perform the way its intended, then I would be concerned. Unless it doesn't work or do what you need, I wouldn't be too concerned with it. They make several versions of the same card too, some with silver cases some with black and also like you said, knock off models, that come off the same assembly lines, but sold under different brands or names, but internally, are the same chipsets and capabilities.

You need to identify the card though, because the AWUS036H from what I recall, is B/G, no N, which is silver, and then there is one that does N and I think is black, and even models that are all white.

Edited by digip

the AWUS036H i already owned, the one that does N is the one I just got and think is a knock-off. I'll look into it and see, I've just always liked alfa brands, and if I'm paying $35 or so for one of these adapters that're advertised as alfa, I just expect to get that one.

Not trying to be a dick, or sound like a dick. Just my thoughts. Thanks for your reply!

Take a pic, post it here and if you can, do some google searches on other same model cards, and reviews, see what others had to say. Who knows, might be a knock off. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm not affiliated with the hakshop or every bought anything off there, but I also don't know if they have other distributors that handle order for them and maybe even Darren doesn't know so its a good topic to bring up if say Darren has someone who handles orders and distrbution for them and is shipping knock offs, he might want to know...

It's not a fake. I get this question a lot.

We do all of our ordering straight from Alfa manufacturer, and we have a representative that we order all of our products from. She's pretty cool and will let us do pretty much any customizations that we wish (we even helped them design the router for the Wifi Pineapple to our specs). We asked her if we could get the Alfa AWUS036NHA cards in matte black with no branding and she said yes!

I also have FCC certs for our devices etc with proof of branding.

the AWUS036H i already owned, the one that does N is the one I just got and think is a knock-off. I'll look into it and see, I've just always liked alfa brands, and if I'm paying $35 or so for one of these adapters that're advertised as alfa, I just expect to get that one.

Not trying to be a dick, or sound like a dick. Just my thoughts. Thanks for your reply!

You do make a good point and I've always wondered about that too. I hope Darren can shed some light into this case for us.

You do make a good point and I've always wondered about that too. I hope Darren can shed some light into this case for us.

Please see my above post. Thanks!

Please see my above post. Thanks!

I just read your comment, Snubs and I thank you very much for the clarification.

Thanks for your concern, it is a legitimate question as there are several similar implementation of the boards popularized by ALFA Networks. Shannon summed it up well.

The AWUS036NHA in the Hakshop.com is in fact a genuine ALFA product. As with the AWUS036H before it, we requested what is called "unbranded". Our specification is for matte black as given our relationship with the manufacturer ALFA has been happy to oblige.

What's ironic to me are the so called knock-offs sporting all of the attributes you describe, hologram and all, as compared to these per our "stealth" specification - one would think they were the other way around. We once log ago bought a batch of supposed "Alfas" from a "verified reseller" only to find they were counterfeit. They were recycled and from then on we only dealt directly with ALFA networks.

If you require please email shop@hak5.org and we can provide documentation. As an OEM myself I take this matter very seriously.

D

Awesome guys, thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure that the hakshop hadn't accidentally gotten ahold of some counterfits. Read on another blog that a lot of people on ebay and such are counterfiting them, and to always watch out for the "hologram sticker".

Thanks again everyone, and personally, I like the unbranded version!

• 7 months later...