underworlddjb

I don't know if this is a newbie/scriptkitty question, but I've looked on the internet for one and have heard on the show about a similar one.

Is there such a script or program or even a website that will take a dictionary.txt/dictionary.dic file and modify it to add numbers to the words. (Ex. hello = hello1, hello01 hello 001...)

It seems like that is the only thing i'm missing. I'm doing some pen testing on my router and the password resemles (passwordNNNN) It is a default from the ISP and I was going to epicly "Take that!" to a frind of mine. When i was watching an onld episode of Hak.5 i heard darren talk about a similar program that turnes words to 1337 speak. That got me wondering about an option to add special characters or number to a particular area of the dictionary words. (IE.beginning-end, every other, similar pattern.) if there is one for linux and I didn't see or search for it right, please let me know. I'm new here; long time Hak.5 viewer; and don't really know where to post quiestions like these. So if this is the incorrect place, I apologise. time on the computer these days seems to run thin. Thank you in advance for you replies.

if at first you don't succeed, trash windows and go download a distro.

maybe i was wrong on the 256mb. that is a huge list. and it would take months to get through to crack just one router. I also looked at cupps, and that would be great if i knew the info to input. a well... i guess its off to the store and get a 2tb hard drive.

Crunch will now generate the following amount of data: 1939513061376 bytes

1849663 MB

1806 GB

1 TB

0 PB

Crunch will now generate the following number of lines: 176319369216

If you are cracking passwords oclhashcat has the ability to add masks and filter character sets, and i believe will use wordlists to wrap and camel case on the fly with the right command line fu. I've not had the best luck with using it, I need some more practice with learning its cli and setup but its what all the cool kids seem to be using these days. Check youtube videos for some examples on its usage though. Pretty straight forward for standard hashes like md5 and such, but when you start getting into salts and things, thats when things get a bit more complicated and oclhashcat seems to be more useful than dictionary attacks alone since it has a setup for various types of hash attacks.

You can find tutorials online that teach this in 20 or 30 minutes. Here is a sample script in python that should get you started that replaces all instances of 'e' with '3'.

import re

def replace(target_file, output_file):

output_file.write( re.sub('e', '3',target_file) )

output_file.close()

target_file = open('path to original file').read()

output_file = open('path to new file', 'w')

replace(target_file, output_file)

[/CODE]