New Pineapple - Initial Findings - Mk4

barry

So got my Pineapple today and after a bit of research I just wanted to clarify a couple of points to make sure I understand how it works.

As I understand it the Wifi Pineapple can not spoof a WEP or WPA/WPA2 AP.

Also Windows 7 no longer auto connects (The user has to manually connect to the network)

Did Windows 7 used to? Or was it Windows XP?

Regarding mobile devices

I have had an interesting experience with my Andoid (ICS) Samsung S2. If I create a OPEN wifi hotspot manually in settings it will connect to the Pineapple under that name.

But, any of the old OPEN hotpots in my phone such as Starbucks or McDonalds do not connect.

Any insight onto why this happens?

I also have noticed an interesting qwerk

On my laptop I have 3 networks saved (in the following order)

1 - Home (WPA2)

2 - Work (WPA2-Enterprise)

3 - Starbucks(Open)

When I am not in range of any of these networks but in range of the Wifi pineapple, my laptop can see the Work AP (as an open access point) but none of the other two.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

windows 7 can autoconnect you just need to check that option for that network

will your samsung connect to say mcdonalds if you remove the one that does work?

I find that the pineapple will only respond to one or two networks only and not all of the clients probed networks.

could be the same reson as #2

Edited by petertfm

Thanks Peter,

1. windows 7 can autoconnect you just need to check that option for that network

I read in a couple of past posts that Windows 7 would not autoconnect to the Pineapple.

Even if the option is selected.

I found this myself.

I added an OPEN network to my PC.

I then restarted the PC and waited for it to connect to the Pineapple, but to no avail.

So I assumed the post about Windows 7 no autoconnect was the reason.

If this is a wrong assumption I dont suppose you have any ideas as to what is going wrong? As it would be great to get this to work.

will your samsung connect to say mcdonalds if you remove the one that does work?

I find that the pineapple will only respond to one or two networks only and not all of the clients probed networks.

The phone will only seem to connect to OPEN networks I create manually on my phone.

I have starbucks, mcdonalds, airport etc all as OPEN stored network in my phone but it just ignores them.

(Maybe the phone only looks for the last 3 or something?)

Edited by barry

I have the exact same findings as barry. I'm quite disappointed in this Jasager hype, since it does'nt work as proclaimed.

The only way I get my HTC Desire to connect to the Pineapple is if I manually enter a new open network from the HTC Desire. In this case I get connected to the Pineapple whatever the name might be. It does not work with Open networks that already exist in my desire.

And it's also the same regarding to Windows 7.

Again, this might be because of my setup, but it does'nt work when it's newly flashed either.

I've had windows 7 boxen connect automagically. Are you on At&t? I know a lot of their phones are set to auto connect to any att wifi hotspots, which McD's and others use. I'm pretty sure this is using some other form of authentication because it bypasses the browsing limit on the free wifi you'd get manually connecting.

It does in fact work with Windows 7. Not every open network will work because not every open network has the connect automatically check box selected, the default in windows 7 is to NOT have it set to auto connect.

As far as the phone goes barry99705 may have a point, AT&T hotspots seem to require some other sort of variable to connect.

Jasager works exactly as advertised, sorry to be blunt but either your expectations are wrong or your setup is.

Edited by itsm0ld

I guess I'm the one that should say sorry, I don't mean to be accusing in any way. Just trying to tell about my experience.

But can you please tell me why the following scenario is'nt working:

- I have prev connected my phone to the pineapple, and the default network called "pineapple 20:e6" exist in my network list on my HTC Desire. I connected to this default network while Karma was Not running.

- Then I changed the Pineapple SSID to AndroidAP.

- When Karma is running the Pineapple, my phone will NOT automagically connect to this "pineapple 20:e6" network, in fact it says that the network is not in range. While the network named AndroidAP is visible on the phone. For information the phone is not connecting to any networks nearby in this test, only displaying the networks nearby.

In my opinion I would say that when my desire says that the network is not in range, then there has been a probe for it, and as far as proclaimed Jasager should say yes to this probe. Am I right?

But when I'm manually creating a network on my phone, whatever the name may be, THEN I'm connected to the Pineapple. So as far as my experience with my phone, it's only working when I'm manually creating a network. Not quite as I expected.

As sidenote I get a whole bunch of probes in the Statuspage when I'm in public, but there is mostly none that actually gets an IP according to the status page. An expample I just made is out of 900 probes(this is from the karma.log so there are duplicates), only 3 IP's connected. To make a really rough estimate, lets say there's a 3% successrate. In my opinion thats a little bit disappointing.

I would really like if you could please learn me why this is the case? I would be really happy and thankful if this is caused by an error I made. But this is also the case right after a flash.

Karma logs will show requests for WEP and WPA networks but they will not connect obviously because Jasager only works for open networks.

I don't think I can tell you why your situation is not working without way more details. I find that when I am looking into a problem or what I perceive as a problem I try and "lab" the problem. I would suggest that if possible you start with a pure stock windows 7 VM or some other pure stock fresh install and test that way. In this way you can eliminate any variable that may not seem like a problem but may actually be causing a problem.

Hey guys I don't know if this is related but I just tried to deauth my friends samsung galaxy ace and it would not work my android phone did but not his??

also It didn't want to connect to the pineapple's ssid too easily, could this be a security feature now starting to show up in newer phones??

Hey guys I don't know if this is related but I just tried to deauth my friends samsung galaxy ace and it would not work my android phone did but not his??

also It didn't want to connect to the pineapple's ssid too easily, could this be a security feature now starting to show up in newer phones??

Could be. I know I can "forget" past networks now in Android 4.1, but my other phone running 3.something doesn't have that option. I can however connect just fine to the pineapple with the 4.1 phone.

I know that the AT&T hotspots are open networks and if I don't disable the option my phone will connect to them automatically. My phone will not respond to the pineapple and connect on these so it must have some kind of verification or even simple check. This is strange and may be related to OS version because I have witnessed both iPhones and Android devices connect to my pineapples with the AT&T SSID's. but since they were not mine I don't know much about them :rolleyes:

This has been something I have been curious about but never looked into.

I also have an Atrix and it does get the globe. So I did some testing today after reading the link Low value target posted and when the setting is enabled "Automatically connect to an available AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spot" it wont connect to my pineapple....not sure why but for some reason it seems that there is a little more to it than the SSID. It would be cool to dig a bit deeper to find out why.

• 3 weeks later...