Problem With Laptops Connecting Automatically To Pineapple. Please Help.

Hey Guys! I have a question regarding my Wifi Pineapple Mark III and I need help! I have noticed that none of my laptops or my iphone connects automatically to the wifi pineapple. If I create a new connection named test with no authentication (opened) on my iphone, when I scan for the available networks (on the iphone) the network named test appears on the list but the iphone does not automatically connects to it. On every Windows 7 laptop I am having the same problem. If I create an open network named test and only choose the option "Connect automatically when this network is in range", the laptop would detect the test network but it would not connect automatically to it. I have found that in order for the laptop to connect automatically to a network the option "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)" must be selected as well but the problem with this is that this option is not selected automatically when you join a network, it must be selected manually, so any target computer with saved open networks that do not have this option selected would not connect automatically to the Wifi Pineapple. I dont know if my Pineapple is damaged or something so let me know! Thank you very much!

No your pineapple is not broken. Are you starting your computers up from cold boot? Try that and see. The other thing is, do you have another wifi that they remember (such as your home network) that may have a stronger signal strength? Even if its not stronger they may connect to that automatically. That is why I'm testing a deauth script that will automatically use my alfa realtek card to deauth everyone around it besides the pineapple - which, on all 6 of my tests here this morning have been successful in bringing the folks to my pineapple. So even if they don't connect to your pineapple automatically, you might want to consider actively preventing them from connecting to others. This would be the most effective way to get people on the pineapple, and keep them there.

telot

Edited by telot

No your pineapple is not broken. Are you starting your computers up from cold boot? Try that and see. The other thing is, do you have another wifi that they remember (such as your home network) that may have a stronger signal strength? Even if its not stronger they may connect to that automatically. That is why I'm testing a deauth script that will automatically use my alfa realtek card to deauth everyone around it besides the pineapple - which, on all 6 of my tests here this morning have been successful in bringing the folks to my pineapple. So even if they don't connect to your pineapple automatically, you might want to consider actively preventing them from connecting to others. This would be the most effective way to get people on the pineapple, and keep them there.

telot

Can we see that deauth script? :P

I have a dumb question... is this (BusyBox v1.19.3) the firmware version? I get that when I connect to the pineapple via ssh.

No, that is not the firmware version.

BusyBox: The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux

BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single small executable. It provides replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts. BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.

BusyBox has been written with size-optimization and limited resources in mind. It is also extremely modular so you can easily include or exclude commands (or features) at compile time. This makes it easy to customize your embedded systems. To create a working system, just add some device nodes in /dev, a few configuration files in /etc, and a Linux kernel.

BusyBox is maintained by Denys Vlasenko, and licensed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE version 2.

http://busybox.net/about.html

Mr-Protocol so where can I check the firmware version? Thanks!!

I'm not sure right now, it is in the works to make an edit to the banner and/or on the GUI for easy identification.

If you got it from the HakShop, chances are it is the older firmware. I would suggest flashing to 1.9 via the Wiki. (See link in signature)

I'm not sure right now, it is in the works to make an edit to the banner and/or on the GUI for easy identification.

If you got it from the HakShop, chances are it is the older firmware. I would suggest flashing to 1.9 via the Wiki. (See link in signature)

Ok cool I got it from the HakShop so I flashed it to 1.9. I just want to let everyone know that in my case it did not worked putting the 172.16.42.42 IP as the Wiki said. I had to use 192.168.1.100 in order to make it work.

telot

Hey Telot!

Well I have tried everything and I am having the same problem. First of all, my current firmware version is 1.9 and 2 of my computers are Windows 7 Home Premium and my third computer is Windows 7 Ultimate. I have tested the Pineapple starting my computers from cold boot to no success. I have deleted all the saved networks and only added an open network called test. When I create this network manually, if I only choose the option "Connect automatically when this network is in range", the computer would not detect or connect to the test network. The only network I am able to see is the internet network created by the Pineapple when Karma is activated. On the other hand if I choose also the option "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)", then the computer in that case detects the test network and automatically connects to it. This happens for all my 3 laptops. What I don't understand is how am I supposed to get other people to connect automatically to my Wifi Pineapple if they don't have the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)" option selected. This option is not selected automatically when you join an open network in an airport or coffee shop. How does Darren get other people to connect automatically to his Pineapple in his videos? Am I the only one having this problem? Thanks guys!

Hey Telot!

Well I have tried everything and I am having the same problem. First of all, my current firmware version is 1.9 and 2 of my computers are Windows 7 Home Premium and my third computer is Windows 7 Ultimate. I have tested the Pineapple starting my computers from cold boot to no success. I have deleted all the saved networks and only added an open network called test. When I create this network manually, if I only choose the option "Connect automatically when this network is in range", the computer would not detect or connect to the test network. The only network I am able to see is the internet network created by the Pineapple when Karma is activated. On the other hand if I choose also the option "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)", then the computer in that case detects the test network and automatically connects to it. This happens for all my 3 laptops. What I don't understand is how am I supposed to get other people to connect automatically to my Wifi Pineapple if they don't have the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)" option selected. This option is not selected automatically when you join an open network in an airport or coffee shop. How does Darren get other people to connect automatically to his Pineapple in his videos? Am I the only one having this problem? Thanks guys!

Thank you for elaborating on your situation in better detail for us superfan. This will certainly help us narrow down what's going on. I have not experienced this myself, but I only have one windows7 target box in which I'm testing against, and it has a special lenovo wireless management center that Im sure modifies how the wifi card and cellular card interact with the world. I will load up win7 on another box tomorrow morning and report back what I find.

One things for sure, the more and more I play with this awesome little device, the more oddities and idiosyncrasies pop up. Such is life when playing with a hacked device that you didnt hack yourself I guess :)

Anyone else notice this same issue as superfan?

telot

After doing my first round of tests, I'm going to have to agree with you hak5superfan. There does seem to be an issue in a default setup of windows7 that prevents it from sending out probe requests for unsecured wifi spots UNLESS the user clicks on the box that says "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)". This is very odd and VERY unfortunate. While win7 machines are not yet the average wifi device you see in airports/coffee shops, its still quite disconcerting to see that the latest and greatest flavor of the most popular PC operating system seems to be relatively immune to the pineapples "yes man" attacks. I should preface these statements with the fact I mentioned above, that my lenovo with the "Lenovo Connection Assistant" does work without clicking on that setting, as long as there are no remembered Secure wifi hotspots around (lenovo automatically places priority on security-ladden wifi over unsecured). Since most manufacturers do like lenovo and put their "value-add" bloatware onto their windows pc's and the majority of users do not uninstall it, I believe further testing is needed to rule out other PC manufacturers. Perhaps we can start a list of what devices are easily pineapple'd and which are not? Thanks for bringing this to my attention superfan - maybe the dev's can chime in and give their thoughts?

telot

After doing my first round of tests, I'm going to have to agree with you hak5superfan. There does seem to be an issue in a default setup of windows7 that prevents it from sending out probe requests for unsecured wifi spots UNLESS the user clicks on the box that says "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)". This is very odd and VERY unfortunate. While win7 machines are not yet the average wifi device you see in airports/coffee shops, its still quite disconcerting to see that the latest and greatest flavor of the most popular PC operating system seems to be relatively immune to the pineapples "yes man" attacks. I should preface these statements with the fact I mentioned above, that my lenovo with the "Lenovo Connection Assistant" does work without clicking on that setting, as long as there are no remembered Secure wifi hotspots around (lenovo automatically places priority on security-ladden wifi over unsecured). Since most manufacturers do like lenovo and put their "value-add" bloatware onto their windows pc's and the majority of users do not uninstall it, I believe further testing is needed to rule out other PC manufacturers. Perhaps we can start a list of what devices are easily pineapple'd and which are not? Thanks for bringing this to my attention superfan - maybe the dev's can chime in and give their thoughts?

telot

Thank you for your reply telot! Yeah I have been trying all night and there is nothing I can do :S Today I will try with Windows XP Laptops to see if they would automatically connect to a saved open network. It would be nice if Darren, Mr-Protocol or Sebkinne could read this post and confirm the results we are getting. I just want to know if this is normal or my Wifi Pineapple is broken :S BTW, as I mentioned before, I have tested with an iPhone 4 and it would detect the open network saved but would not automatically connect. Please help!!! :) Thanks!

Ok guys, yesterday I tested the wifi pineapple with a Windows XP SP2 Laptop I have and the results were the same. If I create an open network and set it up so it automatically connects when available, the computer does not detect the network just created. On the other hand, if I set it up to connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name then in that case it detects the test network and connects to it. Is this normal??? The option to connect to a network even if its not broadcasting its name is not a default option so how come do we expect other people to connect to the wifi pineapple??? Am I the only one with this issue??? Thanks!

i also have the same issues plus mine over heats and shuts down after 1 1/2 hours

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25167&view=getnewpost

Wow :S so you tested this with Windows 7 or Windows XP? I would test your problem with overheating on my unit as soon as I get a chance and post the results on your post. I would measure the temperatures every 20 mins. Thanks for replying! Does anyone else have the same problem???

i'm going to take it to school, its a tech school where there are allot of computers are all of the time and see if i can get anyone to connect if not i think i'm going to return it

Edited by mreidiv

I think I may have found something here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730957.aspx Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Because the wireless networks are explicitly marked as broadcast or non-broadcast, wireless clients running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Vista, send only probe requests for non-broadcast wireless networks."

This would make the Wifi Pineapple useless when targeting a Windows 7, Vista or Server 2008 PC.

Edited by hak5superfan

I concur.

Quite unfortunate really. This highlights the importance of changing the SSID of the pineapple to something people will stupidly connect to. So att_wifi is the nearest open hotspot, make your pineapple att-wifi. Its not really Jasager'ing as it should, but its a decent workaround to get people to connect (which is the end goal anyways right?).

Be advised that different value-add software that PC manufacturers install (read:bloatware) can change the default behavior of windows7/vista wireless connectivity. Everytime I fire up my win7 lenovo (with "Lenovo Connection Assistant or whatever its called) and my pineapple is karma'd up, it automatically connects to "Holiday Inn Wifi", which is a saved access point on that laptop. So there is hope. The other manufacturer I've tried is Sony - they have a shitty little app called "SmartWi" that manages the wireless networks - it does NOT automatically connect, and requires the same "...if not broadcasting SSID" as default win7.

Also keep in mind, a ton of "air card" (usb/pcmcia cellular cards) have their own software that often takes over the wifi of computers - I will test how these behave soon...maybe tomorrow depending on how hung over I am. I have sprint, verizon, and att aircards, so I've got the 3 big US carriers to check out.

Perhaps we can get a Pinned thread where we can post testing results and keep it as a central repository of which manufacuters/OS's work and which don't.

Great find superfan! Thanks for doing the leg work and researching that for us!

Also, Happy New Year everyone!

telot

Edited by telot

I think I may have found something here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730957.aspx Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Because the wireless networks are explicitly marked as broadcast or non-broadcast, wireless clients running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Vista, send only probe requests for non-broadcast wireless networks."

This would make the Wifi Pineapple useless when targeting a Windows 7, Vista or Server 2008 PC.

There is a checkbox to "automatically connect" it's just not turned on by default as a security step.

There is a checkbox to "automatically connect" it's just not turned on by default as a security step.

The automatically connect checkbox isn't enough to make it work with the pineapple though Mr. Protocol. You also need to check "Automatically connect even if the name is not broadcasting" or something to that effect.

telot

I have had it work by just clicking the auto connect. When the wifi card is turned off or on it should probe out all known networks. I'll test it again to make sure.

Thank you - please post your testing variables too if you would please (what version of what OS, any pertinent additional software installed, etc). Thanks Mr. Protocol!

telot