Mkiv + 8 Gb Cruzer Fit = Hot!

98pacecar

I picked up my first pineapple at DC20 and am finally getting around to messing with it. I added an 8 gb Cruzer Fit to the mix and quickly found that after having it plugged into the pineapple for just a few minutes, it gets very hot. It doesn't seem to do this if I plug it into my pc. I'm using the power supply that came with the pineapple.

Is this normal or should I look for a different thumb drive? Just worried I might kill my pineapple before I really get to experiment with it.

I picked up my first pineapple at DC20 and am finally getting around to messing with it. I added an 8 gb Cruzer Fit to the mix and quickly found that after having it plugged into the pineapple for just a few minutes, it gets very hot. It doesn't seem to do this if I plug it into my pc. I'm using the power supply that came with the pineapple.

Is this normal or should I look for a different thumb drive? Just worried I might kill my pineapple before I really get to experiment with it.

i also have drive that gets very hot minutes in, as you can see im just hitting 24 hours of uptime with the unit

Uptime

23:59

the drive is still hot, but not to the extent it was, the problem is that its being used near constantly when pineapple is running services saved to it/utilizing the swap file, but again, im just hitting 24 hours of uptime and have not experienced an issue.

In my oppinion there are two reasons why it gets hot:

1. It is small, not much surface area outside of the pineapple's USB port. Actually hardly any.

2. The USB port of the pineapple gets relatively warm. But not dangerously warm.

Together the pineapple and the tiny USB stick are a great combination, but together they will get warmer.

Try a different USB stick, you'll see it not getting that hot.

Either way, I don't see it being much harm.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I don't know how many times I've plugged this, but my card works like a charm and does not get hot. Its not as small as the cruzer, but its still pretty tiny (plus it makes the pineapple look like its sticking its silver tongue out at you). Supertalent Pico USB: http://www.supertalent.com/products/stt_usb_detail.php?type=Pico

telot

One of the main reasons I actually am ok with using a USB hub it keeps my USB devices cooler. I use a 4G T mobile dongle and it gets over 120 degrees F plugged directly into the pineapple. I also have the 8GB fit (on sale at best buy for 5.99) and use it and the 4G dongle / second wifi adapter in the HUB and it keeps the T mobile adapter at 88-90 degrees. Note that I live in Arizona so the ambient temp in the location the pineapple sits is on average about 80 degrees.

I don't know how many times I've plugged this, but my card works like a charm and does not get hot. Its not as small as the cruzer, but its still pretty tiny (plus it makes the pineapple look like its sticking its silver tongue out at you). Supertalent Pico USB: http://www.supertale...l.php?type=Pico

telot

every mention gets you $1, lol