(Question) Using Wifi Pineapple W/ Osx Or Linux Vm?

Hello all,

I stumbled across the hak5 store today, and after reading about the Wifi Pineapple I think I'm going to order one soon.

My current computer is a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7.4. I also have an Ubuntu 12.04 VM (VirtualBox). Will I be able to configure and work with the Wifi Pineapple easily enough? From what I've read, trying to use OSX can be difficult and Linux is preferred, but I'm wondering if trying to configure the Wifi Pineapple with a VM brings about any extra complications.

I also have a laptop running Windows 7, if that would be the easiest option. However it's a work computer, so I'd rather not, if possible.

Hopefully this question's not too vague, if there's other information I should be providing, please let me know!

Thanks.

Using OSX shouldn't be hard as long as you have an ethernet port. If you have a MBA (macbook air) it can be tricky when things go wrong since your only connection is via wireless (airport). If you have a MBP, you can use the ethernet cable to get back into the unit so it's a good fail safe.

However as far as configuring, Ubuntu is fine, I'm using a MBP with Ubuntu in a VM. Some of the commands you'll need to do requires SUDO before the command since you're not running as root.

i have a MBA and i must say wired is an epic pain in the ass, i have tried usb/and thunderbolt adapters on both virtualbox and parallels even got ahold of a virtual HD of backtrack specifically setup and configured for the mac in parallels. the most reliable setup i have come up with is using a secondary tplink mr3020 router flashed to openwrt to act as a backpack for the pineapple using the wired connection between the two routers and the 3020 as a network bridge to whatever wifi connection that is configured.. pineapple handles the dhcp on the lan and then the 3020 gets an external wan ip /internet

i have a MBA and i must say wired is an epic pain in the ass, i have tried usb/and thunderbolt adapters on both virtualbox and parallels even got ahold of a virtual HD of backtrack specifically setup and configured for the mac in parallels. the most reliable setup i have come up with is using a secondary tplink mr3020 router flashed to openwrt to act as a backpack for the pineapple using the wired connection between the two routers and the 3020 as a network bridge to whatever wifi connection that is configured.. pineapple handles the dhcp on the lan and then the 3020 gets an external wan ip /internet

I am using the same config with mr3020 to get rid of wires alltoghter.

The OP has a MBP so direct ethernet connection to/from the pineapple's not going to be much of a problem, even through a VM. The WP4.sh statup script is very easy to use.

I've tried the wireless route without using an ethernet connection and it's quite simple. Power on the Pineapple, wait a few minutes, connect to the Pineapple via Airport, enter the IP info into the browser's address bar.

The only issue I can see with using only wireless is if for some reason you can't connect to the Pineapple because the web interface isn't working. Then using a direct cable, you can use Terminal and SSH into it directly. However using an intermediate WAP between the computer and pineapple (as long as the Pineapple's directly cabled to that WAP) will work as stated above.

I use a spare pineapple in my bedroom, connected to my router provided by my ISP via ethernet to the WAN port on pineapple. I can then connect to the pineapple via wifi, or through the router (http://10.0.0.10/pineapple/index.php for instance). This enables me to mess with the device and not get kicked when/if the wifi goes loopy =P. This is just for testing, though. In the field, I primarily use bt r5, or winXP.

Anywho, I absolutely recommend you get one of these bad boys. Oh the fun you'll have......

• 10 months later...

I know this topic is almost a year old but I'm hoping someone might be following it. Using the MR3020 is a brilliant solution to get rid of the need for a wired connection. I have one laying around from my Minipwner project (ugh, that was no fun).

Can you help me with the OpenWRT setup needed to make this work? I assume you would need to set the LAN interface to have a static IP of 172.16.42.42, but what about the gateway/dns settings? You wouldn't want dhcp server, right? I think I'm having trouble with the bridging aspect too.

Currently if I connect to the pineapple and do a scan, the pineapple IP shows up, as well as the mr3020 and my connected device. I shouldn't be seeing the mr3020 since it should be acting as a bridge.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!