Steam Client For Ubuntu

rd8t-x

Steam is releasing a client for Ubuntu Linux. Better late than never I suppose.

LINK

Now I wont have to deal with my Chat windows not fully being detected as WINE half the time...

Edited by Radau

Can't wait for this to release! Gaming is the only thing keeping me on Windows.

Have you actually tried gaming on Linux? Wine does a better job with most games than many people realize.

Also, the real problem isn't lack of games (there are quite a few native Linux games available already), it's that display drivers generally suck on Linux. Steam getting ported won't solve that, we still need AMD and Nvidia to make their shit not suck so much in comparison to the performance that Windows users enjoy.

Exactly Sitwon, until nvidia gets its act together gaming on linux will continue to blow. Hopefully valve bringing steam to linux plus getting publicly called out by the godfather of linux himself (the holiest of the holy Linus Torvalds) will wake them up to the growing demand for this. Fingers crossed.

telot

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently steam is going to start hosting more than just the regular stuff on September 5th, could be interesting.