Pineapple Questions, Help Please!

Rotunda

Hello all!

I've just got my hands on a mark II pineapple and a mark III pineapple off a very good buddy of mine...

Now I have a number of questions...

Can you run mark III firmware on the mark II?

Can someone link me to a USB to barrel power cable for them both? (unless they use the same one?)

Is the mark II still a good little worker for wifi manipulation? I've never used one before and I'm not sure what the differances are between it and the mark III are??

thanks in advance

You Cannot run the mk3 firmware on the mk2 hardware (fonera, openmesh etc) the mk3 firmware is designed for the alfa AP51/ imesh51 wireless routers.

The mk2 will require you to create a dhcp-server instance on your laptop, and set up iptable rules and ipv4_forwarding to give access to clients, this (in my opinion) give much greater control if you are trying to exploit a client via metasploit, SET etc. whereas if you were going to try purely just sslstrip and dnsspoof type attacks i would go with the mk3 - it runs its own dhcp-server instance and requires you to sit at 172.16.42.42 and have ipv4_forwarding enabled,the script to start it is wp3.sh from the hak5 site.

the DC connector for the mk3 is a 2.1/5.5 so a google or ebay search should turn you up some, not sure about the mk2!

I am pretty sure you can run the mark III on Fon, open-mesh etc. It may run a bit slow though.

Mark 1 was the Fon

Mark 2 was Open-Mesh/OM1P (Can't remember the first open-mesh model that was discontinued)

Mark 3 was developed on OM1P and for AP51

Mark 4 is Hornet-UB / AP121U

Basically from what I understand. You can run Mark III Firmware on anything Mark III and Below. Results may vary with reliability of the slower models.

Mark 4 is a new breed and will only work on Hornet-UB/AP121U

I am pretty sure you can run the mark III on Fon, open-mesh etc. It may run a bit slow though.

Mark 1 was the Fon

Mark 2 was Open-Mesh/OM1P (Can't remember the first open-mesh model that was discontinued)

Mark 3 was developed on OM1P and for AP51

Mark 4 is Hornet-UB / AP121U

Basically from what I understand. You can run Mark III Firmware on anything Mark III and Below. Results may vary with reliability of the slower models.

Mark 4 is a new breed and will only work on Hornet-UB/AP121U

This is correct.

The MK3 firmware WILL run on an MK2 but it will behave a bit sluggish and could even crash on you if you run multiple services at once.

Best,

Sebkinne

This is correct.

The MK3 firmware WILL run on an MK2 but it will behave a bit sluggish and could even crash on you if you run multiple services at once.

Best,

Sebkinne

Thanks for the feedback, regarding flashing do you do it the same way as the mark III?

My bad- didn't explain very well.

Whenever i tried the mk3 firmware on my fonera 2100 i got constant reboots due to memory maxing out, so just assumed it couldn't handle the mk3 firmware, so i dropped back to the mk2 firmware. if you already have a mk3 i would stick to using that, more reliable then using the mk2 hardware w/mk3 firmware (in my opinion - others may have different experiances) :)

My bad- didn't explain very well.

Whenever i tried the mk3 firmware on my fonera 2100 i got constant reboots due to memory maxing out, so just assumed it couldn't handle the mk3 firmware, so i dropped back to the mk2 firmware. if you already have a mk3 i would stick to using that, more reliable then using the mk2 hardware w/mk3 firmware (in my opinion - others may have different experiances) :)

I see! Perhaps i will keep it as is i just prefer the DHCP being on the device and also the BBS layout is awesome!

I don't know what model i have I'm pretty sure its a Fon..

mr3201a__34316.jpg

model is: mr3201a-38nq

That is the OpenMesh first model. Technically Mark II. Basically the same board as the Fon though.

Ooooo i see! so shes a little bit old now then haha

Whats the spec of it?! it doesn't look like it has much inside it haha

Is flashing the mark 2 the same as flashing the mark III in windows? as i've done a mark III before which was stupidly simple...

Hmmm... what to do with it... I will stick with my mark III for fun and games but... not sure what to do with this one...?

Any ideas? lol

Edited by Rotunda