Usb And Mark Iv Issues

Maybe i'm not the only one (i hope so) experiencing serious issues with USB on MKIV with firmware 2.0.0.

Suddenly, with no modification or significant action, the usb on MK IV it's likely died. In particular doing a "cd /usb" and then a "ls" i get my ssh session stalled..I've to wait few minutes and the content of my usb is empy, but i plugged in in my pc and it has all the data on it. Strange. Moreover if i do a "touch test.txt" in /usb working directory i receive a input/output error. After that i've decided do to 2 things: reflash the firmware and re format the usb following this guide http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25882. I get my swap recognized but usb storage isn't working, and i've noticed a strange thing.. If i power one the MKIV withouth the usb all is normal, i can install packages and do opkg update as well. But if i insert my usb and try to do a opkg update i get " make_directory: Cannot create directory `/usb//usr': Read-only file system." when my fstab it's the stock one

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option enabled  1

I don't know if it's a usb or pineapple fault (software or hardware side)..Any help it's appreciated : )

Maybe i'm not the only one (i hope so) experiencing serious issues with USB on MKIV with firmware 2.0.0.

Suddenly, with no modification or significant action, the usb on MK IV it's likely died. In particular doing a "cd /usb" and then a "ls" i get my ssh session stalled..I've to wait few minutes and the content of my usb is empy, but i plugged in in my pc and it has all the data on it. Strange. Moreover if i do a "touch test.txt" in /usb working directory i receive a input/output error. After that i've decided do to 2 things: reflash the firmware and re format the usb following this guide http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25882. I get my swap recognized but usb storage isn't working, and i've noticed a strange thing.. If i power one the MKIV withouth the usb all is normal, i can install packages and do opkg update as well. But if i insert my usb and try to do a opkg update i get " make_directory: Cannot create directory `/usb//usr': Read-only file system." when my fstab it's the stock one

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option enabled  1

I don't know if it's a usb or pineapple fault (software or hardware side)..Any help it's appreciated : )

Hi ptrac3,

You're not the only one :-) Check this thread: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=26444. Looks like re-flashing over serial with USB inserted sort out the issue. Bu I don't a serial cable. So can't confirm.

Edited by niggizito

Hi ptrac3,

You're not the only one :-) Check this thread: http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=26444. Looks like re-flashing over serial with USB inserted sort out the issue. Bu I don't a serial cable. So can't confirm.

Thanks! : ) Now i'm using another usb and is going normal..But it's strange that the sandisk cruzer fit is accessibile from my pc , maybe my pineapple fried the usb stick but it's too young too die! (2 months) :D

Thanks! : ) Now i'm using another usb and is going normal..But it's strange that the sandisk cruzer fit is accessibile from my pc , maybe my pineapple fried the usb stick but it's too young too die! (2 months) :D

sorry If you tried this already, any luck with the 12 volt adapter the pineapple comes with? are you powering it with usb 5volts?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry If you tried this already, any luck with the 12 volt adapter the pineapple comes with? are you powering it with usb 5volts?

Following Darens post.

I was having issues after changing the fstab configuration, I would ssh into pineapple issue command mkswap /dev/sda2

No such file found. blah blah. I did what perterfm posted above and used the original power supply, all is well now.

I was using the usb power cable by the way. Thanks peterfm!

Following Darens post.

I was having issues after changing the fstab configuration, I would ssh into pineapple issue command mkswap /dev/sda2

No such file found. blah blah. I did what perterfm posted above and used the original power supply, all is well now.

I was using the usb power cable by the way. Thanks peterfm!

:-D

also you only need to issue the mkswap command if it's never been done before.

option anon_swap 1 will enable swap when you insert thumb drive or when you power on;-)

:-D

also you only need to issue the mkswap command if it's never been done before.

option anon_swap 1 will enable swap when you insert thumb drive or when you power on;-)

Hold on guys, does it mean I need to be on the original power adapter when I have the dongle inserted? I had Mark powered over a USB cable from my laptop. Never thought trying it with the original adapter...Thank you for the direction.

Hold on guys, does it mean I need to be on the original power adapter when I have the dongle inserted? I had Mark powered over a USB cable from my laptop. Never thought trying it with the original adapter...Thank you for the direction.

It is known that when powering with one usb cable to the pineapple there may not be enough amperage for some usb devices to operate properly, they may seem to be working but lack enough current.

using a 2 male usb to barrel adapter can give you twice the amount of current/amperage.

the 12 volt adapter seems to provide more current for the pineapples usb port than a standard usb port on a laptop.

kinda like when charging your phone with a laptop takes longer than the supplied adapter.

It is known that when powering with one usb cable to the pineapple there may not be enough amperage for some usb devices to operate properly, they may seem to be working but lack enough current.

using a 2 male usb to barrel adapter can give you twice the amount of current/amperage.

the 12 volt adapter seems to provide more current for the pineapples usb port than a standard usb port on a laptop.

kinda like when charging your phone with a laptop takes longer than the supplied adapter.

Peterfm,

Can you provide me with the link to two male usb to barrel adapter, please? I'm having hard times to find one.

Thx,

Nik

Edited by niggizito

Peterfm,

Can you provide me with the link to two male usb to barrel adapter, please? I'm having hard times to find one.

Thx,

Nik

I've never used one with a barrel adapter, I would order one with the mini end and then cut and solder on the proper barrel. otherwise I use a battery pack I built that uses 8 AA rechargeables.

Basically for a battery pack you are looking for something with a good amperage output, I am waiting for the hack shop's battery for the mark4, I am hopping it will have 2 usb slots so I can use that hub they are selling to power 3 devices.

I've never used one with a barrel adapter, I would order one with the mini end and then cut and solder on the proper barrel. otherwise I use a battery pack I built that uses 8 AA rechargeables.

Basically for a battery pack you are looking for something with a good amperage output, I am waiting for the hack shop's battery for the mark4, I am hopping it will have 2 usb slots so I can use that hub they are selling to power 3 devices.

Got it! Thanks a lot.