This has been driving me mad for days...

Sparda

Whats the name of that gas that is used to chock fires out in server rooms?

It's not CO2, but it can kill people (duh, removing oxygen from the room *bans head on table*, the mental picture of the stereo typical fat server admin sprinting for the door as chocking gas falls from the ceiling always makes me smile) it's heavyer then air, and so sinks to the ground... but the name has been eluded me for days... any help?

Great way to scare the hell out of someone is to have them go into the server room having them believe that they are there to repair something and thus needs a soldering iron. Of course the actual Halon system for the room would be shut off but the trick here is to leave the alarm operational. Thus, when the tech enters the room and plugs in their iron, the sensors in the room would detect the immense heat of the iron and set off the alarm. If you didn't figure it out already, when you're in a HALON protected server room and the alarm goes off, you're dead. Well, when the lights start flashing and such, the guy has either shit himself, ran for the door yelling and screaming for help, or simply fainted.

Happened to some poor bastard at the data center in my home city.

Wouldn't it be better to put air tight (stop the halon from escaping) fire doors on such rooms?

The rooms are air tight. The idea of Halon is to save everything possible from a fire - works much like a normal sprinkler system. The rooms are so sensitive that any spike of about 5 degrees would cause for alarm.

Halon works by starving the fire of oxygen, thus putting it out. The room has to be relatively airtight, although you used to be able to get handheld Halon fire extinguishers (I think they where green) but as Halon helps to depletes the ozone layer its use was regulated by the EU, which is why you don’t see it being used much now.