[Question]Is Development On The Ducky Dead! [Answer NO!]

mreidiv

Does anyone know if the hak 5 devs are still working on this or is it a flop?

I am not a hak5 developer, and have been working on the Ducky in my spare time.

Unfortunately, work commitments and bills means my normal day-night job has taken presidence.

Once I get spare time, I can resume work on the Ducky.

I looked into alternate firmware LUFA a while back, but the library is more for 8bit AVR's not 32bit, LUFA is easier then ASF but not yet fully supported for 32bit AVRs.

ASF framework has about 10 layers of abstraction making it hard to weed out bugs. I have had more success in breaking the Ducky rather than making it better.

Hopefully, we can make progress on the firmware and get it to work in OSX and Linux soon.

Language Support is a drag, most key scan codes are now known, its just swapping the characters around for individual languages. This would be easier if people with different languages + keyboards would learn a programming language like perl or java. There are examples for UK and German-IBM, I started BE but I no longer have the time to finish this.

--Snake Out!

Guest Deleted_Account

Well.. I have given up. $80 down the drain imho. :/

How? It works great on Windows PC which is a good 80% if not more of what you see in a pentest/real world use. Not to mention the code is open source so anyone can make it work with linux or mac now. It's just a mater of time. Yes I think it should've been more functional out of the box too, but it's not that bad considering.

My understanding is Darren is busy with the WiFi Pineapple Mark IV so hopefully after that they will be able to concentrate on the rubber ducky some more, I remember him saying that in a post somewhere.

Again I do agree for the $80 it should have been better. However it still works in the field on the majority of devices you would encounter so I'm not to upset at this point. Now if they closed it down I would be upset for sure.

It feels pretty dead to me at this point. That is not to say there is no hope for it.

As a customer, $80 is a good price for a completed, user-friendly product with the capabilities advertised for the Ducky. But for a budding open source project with poor developer communication? Not worth the money.

As an unpaid contributor, my time is the most valuable thing I give. Duplication of effort is a complete waste of my time. I could spend my time working on fixing the Linux compatibility issue. But since Darren posted weeks ago that he was testing a FW with Linux support, I'm not interested in wasting my time on it. Why isn't the previously referenced beta FW in the repository for others to help test, find bugs, and submit patches? This is how open source works. Or is supposed to work. So, what we have here is not really an example of working open source.

Until the development and communication process is fixed, the Ducky will not mature into the kind of product that I want to use or support.

How? It works great on Windows PC which is a good 80% if not more of what you see in a pentest/real world use. Not to mention the code is open source so anyone can make it work with linux or mac now. It's just a mater of time. Yes I think it should've been more functional out of the box too, but it's not that bad considering.

My understanding is Darren is busy with the WiFi Pineapple Mark IV so hopefully after that they will be able to concentrate on the rubber ducky some more, I remember him saying that in a post somewhere.

Again I do agree for the $80 it should have been better. However it still works in the field on the majority of devices you would encounter so I'm not to upset at this point. Now if they closed it down I would be upset for sure.

Without swedish keylayout it wont work well for me anyway... And since I work 99% with Mac it still is a brick according to my needs. Unfortunately....

It feels pretty dead to me at this point. That is not to say there is no hope for it.

As a customer, $80 is a good price for a completed, user-friendly product with the capabilities advertised for the Ducky. But for a budding open source project with poor developer communication? Not worth the money.

As an unpaid contributor, my time is the most valuable thing I give. Duplication of effort is a complete waste of my time. I could spend my time working on fixing the Linux compatibility issue. But since Darren posted weeks ago that he was testing a FW with Linux support, I'm not interested in wasting my time on it. Why isn't the previously referenced beta FW in the repository for others to help test, find bugs, and submit patches? This is how open source works. Or is supposed to work. So, what we have here is not really an example of working open source.

Until the development and communication process is fixed, the Ducky will not mature into the kind of product that I want to use or support.

The Ducky is a great finding, and has huge potential, but I agree with Kenny pretty much. I wish I have more time (o more konwdlege! that will save time!) to colaborate more. So far, I can make this post :) and wish for the best.

That's pretty much it. My time is torn between the pineapple, this, and the show -- for now. I've thankfully been able to switch gears here recently and dedicate more time to the duck. Recently I've been working on a script to convert PDE files generated by SET - the Social Engineering Toolkit - to work with the duck, but I may just end up rewriting it into a much easier to use web based payload generator.

It feels bad reading this. Especially when this has been my baby for years and yet I've never had the time to dedicate my all to it. There is hope. Indeed we are working hard on making it a polished user friendly product, and lowering the price to boot. With the newly manufactured White Ducks we're actually able to take a considerable chunk off the retail price - something I wish we had been able to do from the get-go.

I agree. We've been pretty bad at embracing the open source side of it. I'm thankfully getting some other developers in the mix here soon and I hope to address some of the issues and feature requests we've been needing. With the latest beta we have Linux support, finally!

I haven't been involved with the coding of the firmware so I can't say too much about it. Most is beyond the scope of my knowledge but it is a platform I very much want to learn. At the moment I'm developing on the periphery that encompasses the project.

Without swedish keylayout it wont work well for me anyway... And since I work 99% with Mac it still is a brick according to my needs. Unfortunately....

With the latest firmware with Linux support there's a lot of hope for OSX -- it recognizes but invokes the wizard. Anyone know a bypass?

With the latest firmware with Linux support there's a lot of hope for OSX -- it recognizes but invokes the wizard. Anyone know a bypass?

Yeah, you can kill the promt as you would kill any other program:

CMD+Q

That at least worked in Leopard and I think Snow Leopard too. Not sure about Lion or Mountain Lion.