Cat6

In my network bag I always carry a 8 foot CAT6 cable. I grabbed that first since I had it on me and I was going to use it on my pineapple MK4. I found out that the CAT6 cable would not fit in the pineapple. I am wondering if it is just mine or if all are like this.

In my network bag I always carry a 8 foot CAT6 cable. I grabbed that first since I had it on me and I was going to use it on my pineapple MK4. I found out that the CAT6 cable would not fit in the pineapple. I am wondering if it is just mine or if all are like this.

Cat-5 and cat-6 connectors are identical, at least every one I've installed are. You sure it's really a cat-6 cable?

It doesn't have these ends does it?

800px-GG45_jack%26plug%26RJ45plug.jpg

Edited by barry99705

I have my Cat6 cable plugged into my pineapple right now... works.

I tried it again and my cat6 works now. BUT cat6 and cat5 ends are not the same. Yes they are both rj45 but the cat6 end has to be modified slightly the inside of a cat6 is a bit bigger for the extra shielding in it. The same goes with CAT7 ends but they are all rj45 ends.

I tried it again and my cat6 works now. BUT cat6 and cat5 ends are not the same. Yes they are both rj45 but the cat6 end has to be modified slightly the inside of a cat6 is a bit bigger for the extra shielding in it. The same goes with CAT7 ends but they are all rj45 ends.

That doesn't make sense. RJ45 is RJ45. That is the connector, it is a standard constant.

Pick the Cat-6 connector. ;)

2012-03-09%252017.41.54.jpg

Insides yes, outsides no - so any/all should fit in the pineapple. But I think I know where you're coming from in all this. My 2 rj45 ports on my pineapple are a bit...shall we say...fragile? The board inside kind of flexes a bit when I try to plug an ethernet cable in. Its a bit scary at times, as I just got this thing and I seriously doubt the hakshop would warranty that (even though they are amazingly understanding - don't get me wrong).

telot

Edited by telot

Insides yes, outsides no - so any/all should fit in the pineapple. But I think I know where you're coming from in all this. My 2 rj45 ports on my pineapple are a bit...shall we say...fragile? The board inside kind of flexes a bit when I try to plug an ethernet cable in. Its a bit scary at times, as I just got this thing and I seriously doubt the hakshop would warranty that (even though they are amazingly understanding - don't get me wrong).

telot

yes that is how it is. Mabe I have not use that cable much and the tab is still rather fresh and will not bend as easy. The plugs did bend when I tried the cat6 so I completely agree with you.

telot

Ahh!! I hadn't noticed that. This should fix it. They're a couple foam "shocks" from an external hard drive enclosure kit. Though anything will work. You could even use the two feet you had to take off to get to the screws in the pineapple! They'll need to be stacked though, so you'll need all four. A piece of 1/4" weather striping will probably work as well. Should be squishy enough to still allow the top to go back on.

2012-03-10_09-32-08_657.jpg

Edited by barry99705

Ahh!! I hadn't noticed that. This should fix it. They're a couple foam "shocks" from an external hard drive enclosure kit. Though anything will work. You could even use the two feet you had to take off to get to the screws in the pineapple! They'll need to be stacked though, so you'll need all four. A piece of 1/4" weather striping will probably work as well. Should be squishy enough to still allow the top to go back on.

True dat Barry - I will make the modification today! Thanks for the pics dude

telot

2012-03-10_09-32-08_657.jpg

Or a styrofoam packing "peanut", flattened down...ask me how I know. ;)