How to Explain Podcasting

najicalove

OOOh interesting!

I would suggest you start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

That should give you a lot.

Personally I call them pre-recorded radio shows if i really need to simplify it, and then go on to expand about how they can be educational, purely entertainment, a discussion of the news, etc.

good luck :)

I had to explain to a youth group I was involved with what they were when I was suggesting we start one and I basically said that they were like radio shows (but I made it clear that they are NOT radio shows) and that seemed to go down well... another good thing to mention is how easy they are to do and how they are not censored :)

wow Im also new to the forums and im loving the feedback! thanks guys, its also due tmw and ive got work at 6.. ill check back later tonight.. I wanted to mention the fact that its User Driven Content, unlike network and cable shows... but im having trouble working that into my story.. or atleast making it not sound so confusing... i guess i shouldnt talk about rss either

I wouldn't directly call it user-driven.

While user-supplied ideas and concepts are more than welcome (if you think you can contribute some useful ideas, join the Dev.5 usergroup on this forum), at the end of the day the team makes the call on what they're going to do. There's a fair chance they'll do something completely different. I recall Darren saying they already have enough ideas for 2 seasons, but that's probably exaggerating things a bit (including WAY too expensive concepts).

I think it would be more fair to say that the production team tries to stay closer to its userbase.

umm just pointing out the key differences in traditional media and new media ( podcasts in my example... ) for those of you guys who watch rocketboom.. comments drove the new host to rip the backround... that was a response from the audience that took 1 day for the people at rocketboom to acknowledge in an epsiode..

Podcasts are just the next step in those "radio shows" you used to make with a double casset deck and a mic when you were a kid. The only really new bit is the use of the internet as a delivery mechanism. Before that, it was just kids passing tapes about, the odd pirate radio station and student radio. Now that you can get your show out to millions of people, its allowed them to become much more professional and mature.

Podcasts are just the next step in those "radio shows" you used to make with a double casset deck and a mic when you were a kid.

Wow, you did that too? ;)

Actually, that's where IPTV comes in of course... Once you've mastered podcasts you can go on to possibly create video... so no longer are you limited to audio (where you would've been using your tape deck and microphone) you can take the leap to what would've been borrowing your parents camcorder to film you and a few mates larking around in next door's garden... only now you're hopefully mature enough to add content ;)

Err... you can still do the next door thing but please, keep that to the adult... err... YouTube :)