This Lady Has My Laptop! How I Tracked It Down.

b0park

I admit it's been a while since I posted, but knowing this group I thought you would enjoy my hunt for my step-dad's stolen laptop.

I started a miniblog to keep a timeline of events and fill everyone in. I guess in the future I'll place more details about each individual piece of software used and what I learned in this real world scenario.

Enjoy!

Long in-depth version goo.gl/RNnOe

TLDR Version Timeline goo.gl/2DpBk

Since you mention exact software brands several times every paragraph I'm going to guess this is some advertisement for that Prey software.

You could have used metasploit to do the exact same things plus more in a fraction of the time.

I'll definitely be following up as it develops. As far as using metasploit, it's possible but I was not AS familiar as I was with simple scripts and Prey and the very limited amount of time I had with the end users using an aircard. As far as an advertisement, although I have a short history here it should show by my post that I'm in no way affiliated. Not to mention that the bulk of the work and determining where the laptop was located was by using LogMeIn to transfer to Dropbox.

Sorry you feel that way, but my reason for the blog is to recover stolen property, not to entertain.

Regardless, we've seen all these on Hak5 before and having a real world situation I think brings more authenticity to it's recommendations by the Hak5 crew and fans.

The reason for mentioning exact brands in my blog is simply after everything is resolved I plan to go back and document my unique experiences with each item and get ideas of other possible quick solutions and everything else I ran into using the software and services in the real world. I also plan to cover other software that isn't intended as "tracking" software that could help you or Law Enforcement recover your products due it's "cloud" nature.

This is a troll people. The exact same thread got started on Reddit with similar results. Guaranteed that you never hear the "end result". Same pattern here. "OMG MY LAPTOP WAS STOLEN AND HERE IS THE PERSON WHO STOLE IT" Call the cops, tehy pussy foot around, never hear the end of it. This is an advertisement for Prey.

Here is the reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/jftq0/i_just_had_my_laptop_stolen_and_am_currently/

There, called out: Now get the fuck out of hak5 if you know what is good for you troll.

Edited by bobdole369

This is a troll people. The exact same thread got started on Reddit with similar results. Guaranteed that you never hear the "end result". Same pattern here. "OMG MY LAPTOP WAS STOLEN AND HERE IS THE PERSON WHO STOLE IT" Call the cops, tehy pussy foot around, never hear the end of it. This is an advertisement for Prey.

Here is the reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.co...d_am_currently/

There, called out: Now get the fuck out of hak5 if you know what is good for you troll.

Sorry to burst your bubble. No relation, and I'm more of a Digg person anyway. Nor do I work for Prey, I work for the State Of Florida, but nice try! Anyways, next time at least look at my history here. Lastly, here's my public posting on Facebook about the latest news for those interested.

Another update and unfortunately it's a little bit boring besides taking a look at the pictures taken by the webcam. I think I'll follow up with some of the images found and the meta data in them. I was unable to decipher the GPS data and it may very well be corrupt. It may be something fun for everyone to view and educate me if I misinterpreted the format this particular device spilled it's GPS data. If it's corrupt as I thought, then you may end up in the middle of the ocean as I did.

http://goo.gl/boinL

Maybe if you were doing what you were doing by using actual real world tools and techniques and not some point and click nonsense people would pay more attention, but hell, this is fake anyways right.

Thanks for all your helpful comments, they really add to the thread.

I'm sorry you feel that I should use "real world" tools. I just don't find any sense in hunting for a possibly non-existing exploit on a Windows 7 box when I already have access to the file system. Some simple scripting and social engineering got me to a point where I could install more software. More importantly, with a user on an aircard, I don't have the benefit of an always-on connection to "play". This isn't a game, it's a matter of recovering stolen property.

I also find it funny that you think I'm payed by Prey for promotion when most of the work was done without Prey. The only thing that Prey helped me out was getting reports when the computer came online. Which are at a different time compared to my habits which usually means I'm out and about and not near a computer. More importantly it was the quickest way to query Google's API to determine the possible location based on nearby wireless MACs.

Feel free to unsubscribe from this thread.