Hacking For Dummies?

Nebuchadnezzar

Is there somewhere I could go for a simple introductory, step-by-step guide on how to learn the basics? Or at least get a general background idea of the processes involved, so I can teach myself.

I look at these threads and topics and some of the pages I have found from doing searches on the topics, and I can't understand more than half of what they are talking about, usually.

I'll never be a consummate hacker, I'd rather hire one than go through that much trouble to learn it all--but it would be nice to learn how to crack simple passwords, etc.

Many thanks in advance for your time!

The reason you don't understand what is being said, is because you probably dont have crap for computer background knowledge. Take classes, or download the FREE course material from say MIT on basic computer maintenance; networking; so on...

And just using "easy programs" is not Hacking by any sense. Makes you a no-nothing script kiddie that wants a click to "Go h4x" button.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

Just like any subject you learn, learning how to hack something takes time and practice. I would recommend you, if you don't understand something to research it in Google, so you have an idea of what it is and how it works. If you are still confused, just post a question in the forums and someone will try to answer it for you. But make sure, you research it first, you will learn more doing that way.

Furthermore, there are so many places you could start learning from, you could buy books or watch videos on the internet (securitytube.net, irongeek.com and etc). Or even from your own computer, you could install VMware workstation (www.vmware.com) and set up a couple of VMs (virtual machines) and learn more about virtualization, why is it used or what benefits can it offer.

Play around with your home network devices such as modem, router and wireless. Try to learn the fundamentals of them and how to set them up, very important if something goes wrong with your network, you need to know determine between them which one is causing the problem.

Last but not least, keep reading, watching and practicing whenever possible, that's the only way you will gain the knowledge and experience to understand all jargon (technical words or terms) around these forums.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

V

The reason you don't understand what is being said, is because you probably dont have crap for computer background knowledge. Take classes, or download the FREE course material from say MIT on basic computer maintenance; networking; so on...

And just using "easy programs" is not Hacking by any sense. Makes you a no-nothing script kiddie that wants a click to "Go h4x" button.

Didn't think it would make me a hacker, as I said above I have my doubts as to how much time and effort I can put into it anyway. But I do think using some simple programs can teach you a lot.

No, I don't have crap for computer background knowledge. Thanks for the idea/tip about MIT.

The one thing I have going for me is I am not stupid, lol.

Just like any subject you learn, learning how to hack something takes time and practice. I would recommend you, if you don't understand something to research it in Google, so you have an idea of what it is and how it works. If you are still confused, just post a question in the forums and someone will try to answer it for you. But make sure, you research it first, you will learn more doing that way.

Furthermore, there are so many places you could start learning from, you could buy books or watch videos on the internet (securitytube.net, irongeek.com and etc). Or even from your own computer, you could install VMware workstation (www.vmware.com) and set up a couple of VMs (virtual machines) and learn more about virtualization, why is it used or what benefits can it offer.

Play around with your home network devices such as modem, router and wireless. Try to learn the fundamentals of them and how to set them up, very important if something goes wrong with your network, you need to know determine between them which one is causing the problem.

Last but not least, keep reading, watching and practicing whenever possible, that's the only way you will gain the knowledge and experience to understand all jargon (technical words or terms) around these forums.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Hey wow thanks for listing the websites, I will check them out for sure!

I found this excellent forum by doing a Google search lol. Searches are indeed a great way to learn, as well.

Reading books and doing computer courses will definitely help you gain the knowledge and make you more aware of computer stuff. Alternatively, if you leave near a news agency shop, you could buy computer magazines on different topics and read them, I do that occasionally.

I would also recommend, invest into some books as well. Like Networking, Wireless, programming and few others.

Thanks! I'll look for them on Amazon now.

No offense to you, but if you plan on buying books I would suggest you buy those book for dummies. They've been written in an easy to understand language and whilst that is good for beginners they are also fun to learn and enjoy.

Once you have mastered the basics, move onto the more challenging parts, do a little bit of research and some more reading and that's how you learn. IT is very challenging and it can be difficult at times but if you are willing to learn and accept new challenges, you got nothing to lose but gain.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks! I'll look for them on Amazon now.

Feel free to go to your local library as well and see what books they have, they will probably be a few years old but should help you find which ones you can understand and get on with and then you can look at getting the latest edition.

I have been messing with programming and computers since Intellivision and Windows 3.1 era.

Newbie. :D

Seriously though having knowledge of the workings of older systems has helped me and no doubt Mr-Protocol with lots of tasks and makes picking up new technology easier. Personally I think all techies should have have a go at coding for a system with limited resources. NOTE: 1GB of memory in XP doesn't count as limited, think 16KB of space in which to fit a working BASIC interpreter.

Newbie. :D

Seriously though having knowledge of the workings of older systems has helped me and no doubt Mr-Protocol with lots of tasks and makes picking up new technology easier. Personally I think all techies should have have a go at coding for a system with limited resources. NOTE: 1GB of memory in XP doesn't count as limited, think 16KB of space in which to fit a working BASIC interpreter.

Very true in deed.

Hey thanks, I will check it out!

And certainly no offense taken to the idea of getting those books 'for Dummies' lol!

I'm a relatively smart guy, but I know my limitations. I don't know jack about this stuff, not yet. And it is obviously not the kind of thing you can just pick up in a couple of afternoons.

:lol:

Hey thanks, I will check it out!

And certainly no offense taken to the idea of getting those books 'for Dummies' lol!

I'm a relatively smart guy, but I know my limitations. I don't know jack about this stuff, not yet. And it is obviously not the kind of thing you can just pick up in a couple of afternoons.

:lol:

Definitely not and as I said before it takes time to learn all these stuff. I know some college of mine, that did a course in IT thinking that it would be so easy but half way through the course they dropped out.

Start small and work your way up. Even something as simple as a Comptia A+ class and Network+ class will lay a huge foundation for exploring different avenues of computing and tinkering. Hacking isn't downloading a program and clicking go to DDoS someone. Its about seeing something, trying to figure out how it works, what makes it tick, how to manipulate it in ways it wasn't meant to be used, applying the rules implemented within itself or some protocol. Hell, hacking doesn't even have to involve computers at all. its a frame of mind and how you interact with people and things, thinking outside the box. Einstein, Tesla, Edison, these people are hackers. The term today, gets applied over and over again to criminals like lulzsec and anonymous, who run around dumping databases with sqli attacks. If they wanted to to do some real good, once they gained access to the system, expose corruption or injustices, not credit card numbers and passwords to users found in the database. Solves nothing, and only makes them look more skiddy in the process. Not that they don't have skills, but they apply them in the wrong way and end up giving the true nature of hacking and exploration a bad name.

Enough with my rant, but anyway, to learn is to play, experiment, try and fail and then fail some more. Eventually, thing will click, but get some fundamentals and learn to walk before you try to run with it.

I agree completely, the Network+ is a good one, along with the CCNA.

iTunes U has a good selection of lectures that you could go through. Also you'd be surprised what you can pick from the Haktips and Hak5 episodes.....if you watch them from Season 1 onwards you can pick up a fair bit.

Have fun learning!

Start small and work your way up. Even something as simple as a Comptia A+ class and Network+ class will lay a huge foundation for exploring different avenues of computing and tinkering. Hacking isn't downloading a program and clicking go to DDoS someone. Its about seeing something, trying to figure out how it works, what makes it tick, how to manipulate it in ways it wasn't meant to be used, applying the rules implemented within itself or some protocol. Hell, hacking doesn't even have to involve computers at all. its a frame of mind and how you interact with people and things, thinking outside the box. Einstein, Tesla, Edison, these people are hackers. The term today, gets applied over and over again to criminals like lulzsec and anonymous, who run around dumping databases with sqli attacks. If they wanted to to do some real good, once they gained access to the system, expose corruption or injustices, not credit card numbers and passwords to users found in the database. Solves nothing, and only makes them look more skiddy in the process. Not that they don't have skills, but they apply them in the wrong way and end up giving the true nature of hacking and exploration a bad name.

Enough with my rant, but anyway, to learn is to play, experiment, try and fail and then fail some more. Eventually, thing will click, but get some fundamentals and learn to walk before you try to run with it.

Wow, great post!

And thanks Calianna. And Infiltrator for your words of wisdom in PM. Thanks to all who replied!

I have been messing with programming and computers since Intellivision and Windows 3.1 era. I have taken TONS of courses and read lots of books and I am still learning each day. You have to start with the basics and build.

This. Without the basics you'll never fully grasp how things work nor be able to create your own attacks. Learn how computers receive/view/send data through a network. How routers see packets and know how to route them. How web servers interpret data and process requests. I learned a good deal just by learning the OSI model. And learn HOW they work. EG: If someone asks you how a MITM attack works, be able to explain it in detail rather than "You just trick the computers into thinking you're their network/website."