Eclipse Vs Vim

packet

I would definitely recommend Eclipse, that's what I used at my Java programming class when I went to UNI before.

Personally I do all my coding with vim, but then I am developing in different languages, sometimes it is on my local machine through windows and other times it is on a remote machine over SSH.

Vim is well worth learning to use if you are going to be working on multiple machines and through a terminal at times, but it does have a steeper learning curve than most other editors.

Of course there is also the third option of using emacs as your editor of choice.

I try to avoid Eclipse wherever possible, I generally use Xcode or Vim.

Why is that?

I like Eclipse for Java; it's very good. It's a bit slow on some systems, and that's why a lot of people don't like it.

I use Vim for C/C++, PHP (especially over ssh), Python and other. Vim is a good alternative for Notepad/Notepad++ and it's also available on Linux, if you learn it's key shortcuts it's almost like swiss-knife of code; of course many IDEs are very good once you learn it's shortcuts.

What plugin are good for gvim for java?

You should have been able to find this with about 10 seconds on Google. It's a little buggy for some of the hackery things I do, but generally it's pretty good. Nearly as good as the auto-complete in Eclipse/Netbeans/VS.

Of course, the benefits of Vim far outweigh the slightly gimp'd auto-complete.