Coupon Work Around?

umyousee

um, if you have to install something to print coupons, I'd be a little concerned. Are you sure it isn't malware. Most coupons from things online can be printed directly from the websites they are offered on.

um, if you have to install something to print coupons, I'd be a little concerned. Are you sure it isn't malware. Most coupons from things online can be printed directly from the websites they are offered on.

+1 to this.... all the coupons i know of pop up and print out.... what coupon "program" is this?

It's some sort of installer that is called couponprinter.exe and what it does is keep track of how many times you've printed a coupon. The companies started using this to stop people from just printing to say a PDF file and being able to print it as much as they want.

The program doesn't sound like they understand the concept of protecting how many coupons are printed. I'm pretty sure it could be circumvented, severely easily. If anything, its probably rouge or malware/spyware, and I wouldn't trust it. If you can, link the site we can download it from or upload a copy of it somewhere and post the link. I'd be interested in taking a look at it just for the sheer curiosity of what it might contain.

Did some research on that "couponprinter-exe" file but couldn't find much information on whether its a malware or not.

Virustotal, has reported no infection whatsoever.

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a8a7f0e587402a8d2f84e02e6080f8d9c40ddcf69a87ae2679feebd12a2e10dc-1303233401

If you are not sure, and need to open that file in a safe way, use VMware workstation to create a virtual machine.

Edited by Infiltrator

I don't have it on my machine. As you said, I don't trust it. I just was trying to help out my family. I have warned them but they seem to think it's fine. I'm just trying to find out what I can. Thanks to all who are helping. Thanks for the link infiltrator.

Umyousee

Well, nothing malicious found in the setup program. Doesn't mean it won't cause other issues such as spam, tool bars, etc. Just means it doesn't contain any known malware, doesn't mean I would use or trust it.

That's what makes this program so dangerous, they may not be harmful at all but once running it could download spyware or other type of malware into your computer and getting rid of it can be difficult sometimes.

Edited by Infiltrator

That's what makes this program so dangerous, they may not be harmful at all but once running it could download spyware or other type of malware into your computer and getting rid of it can be difficult sometimes.

Exactly. I have not actually ran the installer yet, but I have been digging around other forums and some people have said it connects to the internet and downloads spyware. Personally, just not worth the effort to save a few pennies here and there. I will at some point install it in a VM though, so I can monitor the traffic and see what it does.

• 3 weeks later...