Proxmox And It's Issues..

Morpheus

I'm back guys and i've been doing some tests with proxmox lately with a couple of servers of mine, and now i realize how buggy proxmox really is, or maybe i just don't know how to do anything at all in it..

The frist thing i noticed is that you can't upload big isos with the web interfece uploader feature, so you need to upload the isos manually with winscp to the /var/lib/vz/template/iso .. but it's no big deal right?

But now i face another problem, i tried to install a centOS 6 VM using openvz and it won't let me select the iso i want to use in the installation.. it only sees those templates, ok then.. i tried to upload again the iso to the appliance templates and even if it's the netinstall iso (witch is pretty small) it just won't let me upload so i thought F that.. i'm going with KVM..

Great.. it was easy and painless to install linux, just like my other windows VMs.. but now another problem the VM won't recognize the network (witch is a simple bridge, eth0 is connected to a switch and a clearOS gateway to that switch as well with DHCP service off.. as i said pretty simple bridge..) even though it knows there is a ethernet card there.. (i know that because it shows the vendor, i tried intel, virtio, realtek almost all of them..) and i just won't connect to my network no matter what i do, the local IP adress to that vm is 192.168.10.9, 10.1 for the gateway, netmask a 24.

In the other hand the windows vm works PERFECTLY without any issues AT ALL, the only card that requires driver installation (at least the 2008 vm i tested) is the virtio card, but the realtek card will just be recognized without any manual driver installation, setup the ip adress and good to go..

I tried to register in the proxmox website (so i could at least report a bug or something) but they didn't send the email for activation, so i can't browse their website..

And you know what the worse thing is.. i've got people waiting for those VMs for days now and i just CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ¬¬

Any help here would be deeply appreciated.

Edited by Morpheus

Nobody said nothing =/ but i figured it all out by myself.. it's the CentOS 6, if you install ubuntu 11 it works normally, it was something with the centos 6.

Proxmox is not a bad virtualization platform, however I did encounter issues with it that made me switch over to Vmware. Vmware rocks and works great... You should also check out the Vmware appliances it may have what you are looking for.

Proxmox might be a nice free alternative, but personally, I've not had much luck with anything other than VMware. VirtualBox never worked right for me, and I hate having to leave Java installed on any machine other than a BT VM. VMware workstation is what I use on my desktop, but if you need to serve VM's remotely to others, I believe their server product is still free. VSphere is probably what you would want for full enterprise integration and serving VM's, but its not free and is not cheap either. Support also comes at a separate charge on top of VSphere, but thats how VMware makes its money.

@ Infiltrator - Vmware = paid = not an alternative to proxmox. keep reading.

@ digip - You both said about the vmware but it's paid, i don't wanna keep paying for something i can and SHOULD do for free, vmware is nice i agree i've already used and i liked it a lot but in my case anything i can save better, i don't really care about the proxmox issues as long as i can deal with them.. eventually they'll fix it.. but i really don't want to pay more than i already have to if there is a free alternative, proxmox does all i need, virtualization, bridging, the hot migration stuff, clustering it's just what i needed, now that ubuntu server is working just fine all i've gotta do is wait till they release a newer version of proxmox

Anyway thanks guys, oh and btw if there's another FREE alternative to proxmox that works even better let me know.

Yes my friend, VMware is a paid product and I agree with you. But fortunately it does a better job than Proxmox. Proxmox still has a long way go to mature. Furthermore, have you tried using Virtual Box, its a free alternative and it may do a better job than Proxmox, its just a suggestion.

@Morpheus - VMWare ESXi can be had for free and is very capable if you do not need advanced functionality such as failover and whatnot. VMPlayer is free and does a lot of the stuff VMWare workstation does and is fine for casual use, but no snapshots is a deal killer for me personally.

I played with ProxMox for a bit and was underwhelmed by it as well. I have used VMWare products for many years now and think the Workstation product is definitely worth the price of admission. I have yet to play with Xen or VirtualBox at length, and want to, but just have not had time to dedicate to giving them a solid look.

can i get ESXi for free? how? link would be nice.

I love virtualbox but that's only for playing and testing on my desktop i'm trying to face proxmox as something for serious work.

And btw i got the proxmox setup with virtualmin on ubuntu 10.04 LTS working great now, i'm really happy with proxmox for a free alternative, i'm gonna keep testing and later on i'll surely take a look at vmware but for now i'm keeping the proxmox.

At work we had some issues with Proxmox, didn't have time to mess with it, setup VirtualBox instead. VirtualBox has been working just fine for us. Eventually we might give Proxmox a second look, or maybe just migrate to KVM with the nice RedHat/Fedora utilities.

can i get ESXi for free? how? link would be nice.

Knock yourself out, http://www.vmware.com/support/product-support/vsphere-hypervisor.html

• 3 weeks later...