Hdd Enclosure

entity

Hello Forum,

I'm looking for a nice 3.5" HDD enclosure that will hold a 2TB drive anyone got any suggestions, my friends have icy box branded ones but they said that they had some failures from the enclosure side of things.

Thanks in advance,

Entity

IMHO, the weakest link on the drive enclosures is often the power supply. Buy something that you can easily replace the power supply if needed. I use a couple of Thermaltake Silver Duos (hxxp://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1287&ID=1650) currently, but they use oddball power supplies. I have had to have TT replace one under warranty, but it has been fine since then.

I also use a couple of ThermalTake BlackX drive docks and love those things.

Hello Forum,

I'm looking for a nice 3.5" HDD enclosure that will hold a 2TB drive anyone got any suggestions, my friends have icy box branded ones but they said that they had some failures from the enclosure side of things.

Thanks in advance,

Entity

How do you prefer, internally or externally?

Thing is I have to be on the go for some time and I wish to carry my downloads with me (have approx 1.5TB atm) now I didn't want to get one of these external hdds which have a built in hdd so to say, want to be able to change/switch hdds at will which is why i opted for just an enclosure. Now this hdd will be primarily connected to my MBP 2011 so there's no usb 3 hehe. Also don't fancy ThermalTake BlackX style drive docks need somthing a bit more rugged :)

Thanks for the replies,

Entity

The Thermaltake enclosures I sent seem to meet your at will requirement, but I would not consider them rugged. They are nearly all metal, except the end caps, though. I would not hesitate throwing them in a tool bag and carrying them around. You are right, though, the BlackX are not suitable for travel themselves, but they are awfully handy at times. When you settle on something let us all know what you found please.