Windows 2008 Server + Domain

Jamo

Hi

I just got a job as a it support, next 3 months ill be sitting in helpdesk answering to phone calls. In that job I need to use a lot of windows servers. I haven't played a lot with those yet. ie. I havent configured any.

So Im trying to set up virtual test server and some XP clients. Im currently using vmware workstation for 2k8 server and virtual pc for xp clients. Im using microsoft's XP ie8 test virtual machines.

I got a free copy of server 2008 from https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductId=17

I got server installed, but I really dont know, how to configure a domain, and I only have a clue, how to join to it with xp client.

So far I have followed this http://www.petri.co.il/installing-active-directory-windows-server-2008.htm tutorial, setting up a domain. As a domain, I used test.local

When I tried to join that domain with xp professional it give me an error: "a domain controller for domain could not be contacted"

Edited by Jarmo

When setting up a domain controller, a couple of things you need to configure first, before workstations are able to be joint to the domain.

1) You will need to run DCPromo, to promote your server to a domain controller.

2) You will need at least 3 services configured and running DNS, DHCP and ADS (Active Directory Services).

3) You will need to disable DHCP on your router, since the domain controller will be the main DHCP server for your network.

4) Go to DHCP in your DC and create the following scopes, DNS Servers, Router, DNS domain name and last not least Name servers. Once the scopes have been created, you will need to authorize your DHCP server to lease ip addresses or otherwise no machines on the network will be able to obtain IP addresses.

If you stuck these articles should help you

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_install_active_directory_on_windows_2003.htm

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/configure-windows-server-2003-as-a-domain-controller/

http://www.utm.edu/staff/nathant/domain_setup.htm

Edit: Once your domain controller has been set up, you will need to restart a workstation and verify if its obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server in your Domain Controller. If the workstation has obtained a valid IP address from the new DHCP server, try joining it to your domain again.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks infiltrator.

I just changed my last post, since I changed my domain to test.local I changeg it before reading your reply.

If I have to use server 2008 as DHCP server I cant use my local network for testing this.

I guess that I have to configure vmware virtual network?

Thanks infiltrator.

I just changed my last post, since I changed my domain to test.local I changeg it before reading your reply.

If I have to use server 2008 as DHCP server I cant use my local network for testing this.

I guess that I have to configure vmware virtual network?

How did you install Windows Server 2008, on a physical machine or Virtual machine?

How did you install Windows Server 2008, on a physical machine or Virtual machine?

In vmware workstation.

I created virtual network in vmware and Now im configuring 2008 server.

Now im just waiting for FDCC xp to download. I hope, it will work in vmware and be abe to join domain

Edited by Jarmo

In vmware workstation.

I created virtual network in vmware and Now im configuring 2008 server.

Now im just waiting for FDCC xp to download. I hope, it will work in vmware and be abe to join domain

In my virtual lab I have the following set up, a Windows Server 2003 installed in a VM, with DHCP disabled but DHCP enabled at the router end, so any machines on my network can retrieve an ip address.

Moreover, I have set my server with a static IP address instead of dynamic and have set up an additional VM running XP, so that it could be joint to my new domain controller, which has worked without any problems.

How can that XP machine find that domain controller, If I just have DNS and ADS configured and dcpromo done. And my router (dd-wrt) being DHCP server.

My domain is currently test.local

EDIT.

I just got my xp professional client joined to my domain.

Edited by Jarmo

How can that XP machine find that domain controller, If I just have DNS and ADS configured and dcpromo done. And my router (dd-wrt) being DHCP server.

My domain is currently test.local

EDIT.

I just got my xp professional client joined to my domain.

Nice work, wasn't so hard wasn't it?

Edited by Infiltrator

An AD Domain does not require you to run DHCP from the DC (unless I've mis-understood what either of you are saying)

You are absolutely correct, not required unless you want your DC to be the DHCP server.

Or you plan on having your router, distributing the ip addresses via its DHCP server.

Edited by Infiltrator

Well I was able to join domain in vmwares virtual network. Now, whtn I tried to do the same in my home lan, the XP client that tried to join just said that

domain controller for the domain test.local could not be contacted

Ensure that domain name is typed correctly

Edit.

I just had manually set dns on xp client to my servers static IP

Edited by Jarmo

Now I have

- doman controller ie. server 2008 in 192.168.1.8

- xp1 on 192.168.1.201

- xp2 on 192.168.1.202

- dd-wrt router/ home lan router 192.168.1.1

So now these are in home lan no longer in vmware virtual network.

I also have removed DHCP server from server 2008. DD-wrt/router is now giving IPs. However all Ips I have are static.

joining domain works well, when I have set 192.168.1.8 as preferred dns server.

A couple of guestions:

Im trying to use remote desktop connection to connect xp clients. Im can get to login screen of that computer, but then is says

USER xyz is currently logged on to this computer. Only current user or administrator can og in to this computer
How to set this so multiple users can be logged in at same time.

How can I change computers keyboard in login screen on xp, Im using finnish keyboard layout, and Xp thinks that I have english layout.

Should this be done using gruop policy.

I'm not sure of the exact terminology here, but you cannot have multiple terminal service (remote desktop) connections to an XP Machine, so you are always connecting to the console of that system, where as with Windows Server you can have multiple terminal service sessions running e.g. multiple people logged in to different remote accounts.

I can't remember (and I don't have time right now to go and look for the solution) but the system you are connecting from e.g. System A -> System B (Windows XP via RDP) what Language keyboard is System A using? I can't remember if when using RDP if your system will drive the language control

Edited by MRGRIM

In server, you can have multiple connections to the server via RDP. In XP, you can only have 1 concurrent login at a time. If you login with RDP, it logs out the normal user and locks the screen while you are working. If the XP user logs back in again while you are RDP into it, it will log the admin out unless you have a group policy to override this. Only 1 user can be in at a time on workstations, but with servers, multiple users can be logged in at once, but you also need a license to use specific terminal server functions on multiple machines concurrently as well, as by default I think you are limited to 5 at a time, depending on the license. This is one of the reasons people use third party desktop programs, like VNC, or PC Anywhere, since the user can still work while you Remote into the machine to work with them in real time.

In server, you can have multiple connections to the server via RDP. In XP, you can only have 1 concurrent login at a time. If you login with RDP, it logs out the normal user and locks the screen while you are working. If the XP user logs back in again while you are RDP into it, it will log the admin out unless you have a group policy to override this. Only 1 user can be in at a time on workstations, but with servers, multiple users can be logged in at once, but you also need a license to use specific terminal server functions on multiple machines concurrently as well, as by default I think you are limited to 5 at a time, depending on the license. This is one of the reasons people use third party desktop programs, like VNC, or PC Anywhere, since the user can still work while you Remote into the machine to work with them in real time.

The default is 5 RDP sessions per users, if you want more RDP sessions, you will need to purchase more terminal server licenses.

I have tried to remove english from keyboard layouts, so it should be finnish all the time. In server it works, but in XP's, downloaded from FDCC, the link to xp machines from metasploit unleashed site. Those just want to keep english as their default keyboard layout for login.

Its not a big problem, but I use a lot of @'s in my passwords, and in english layout it cams from SHIFT+2 and in Finnish layout @ comes from ALTGR+2