I Want To Learn Programming

Remotesh

So i want to learn a new language fairly fast, (I can program in Visual Basic (Yeah i know not so good as a language))

I really want to learn C++ as I will be taking Comp Sci next year as a Junior.

Do you guys know of any good tutorials to start off with?

Should i learn a language other than C++?

If so do you have any good tutorials and such to start off with?

Note* I will also go out and buy books if you guys recommend some good ones.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Remotesh

C and Java would be good languages to learn. That's what I did when I was at the university.

I would recommend Python3 (3 because it's newer and according to what I have read is the future of the language). I haven't used it very much, but if I were going to go to university and learn C++ and Java, Python is something nice to complement that and has nice and easy-to-use string manipulation. I think if I knew Python better than I do Java it would be my go-to language for anything I need/want to code.

Also, I think you learn to use a language when the need arises. Once you learn the basics ideas in programming (program control, OOProgramming, data structures etc.) it becomes MUCH easier to learn a new language, so it doesn't matter as much the language with which you learn these ideas.

This might be a google place to start:

http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/tutorial/index.html

Edited by Garda

Whatever language you decide to learn, the best thing to do will be to stick to it.

I've been trying to learn how to program in C++ and C for over ten years, but stop after a while due to other priorities.

I now regret not putting programming at the top of my priorities.. :mellow:

Whatever language you decide to learn, the best thing to do will be to stick to it.

I've been trying to learn how to program in C++ and C for over ten years, but stop after a while due to other priorities.

I now regret not putting programming at the top of my priorities.. :mellow:

C++ is a very complicated language. And C is easier, but still depends on you knowing a lot about the underlying hardware implementation (which is often not taught or only glossed over).

I recommend getting the book for The Elements of Computing Systems course and working through it. It gives you all the foundational understanding you need to immediately grok C (or any other language) at it's core.

Thanks for all the great answers.

Im taking Comp Sci AP next year and im supposed to be learning Java, are there any good languages that

complement Java in structure and syntax?

-Remotesh

Thanks for all the great answers.

Im taking Comp Sci AP next year and im supposed to be learning Java, are there any good languages that

complement Java in structure and syntax?

-Remotesh

Java aimed to have a C-like syntax so that it would feel familiar to the C/C++ programmers who were in the majority of their target demographic at the time. So the syntax will be similar to any of the curly-brace languages.

It also has a strong bias towards it's own vision of the OOP model. OOP in Java isn't the same as OOP in C++ or Python or Ruby. However, learning OOP in any language should help you out a lot in learning to use Java.