802.11g Wireless Lan Stability Issue At Home

h4x0r

Hi All,

I am having wireless network connectivity problem here at home, since I cannot move the wireless AP into anywhere closer to my room, the WLAN network (802.11g with WPA-PSK) that I connect everyday always unstable with the symptoms:

1. the maximum signal strength that I can get is 40-45% (ranging from 2 to 3 bars out of 5 in Windows 7).

2. I can connect to the WLAN before 7 PM in the eveningbut then when I turn on my PC with 5dB USB WLAN or my iPhone after midnight I cannot connect to the network eventhough the SSID is listed there, I always get password prompt.

and now I am thinking of getting 2000mW antenna with the specifications as follows:

NEW USB WIFI ADAPTER KASENS G5000 (2011 IMPROVED MODEL).

2000mW + HF + 10dBi OMNI ANTENNA HIGH SENSITIVITY. 

FEATURES: 
Maximum power output: 33 dBm (2000mW).
Antenna: HF + 10dBi omnidirectional
Integrated Controls: Realtek 8187L.
Transfer Speed: 54Mbps. (MAXIMUM SPEED NETWORK WIFI)
FREQUENCY: 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11 b / g
INTERFACE: USB 2.0 (compatible with 1.0)
MODULATION: BPSK, QPSK, CCK and OFDM.
WiFi Standard: IEEE 802.11 B / G (compatible with the new networks and older).
FULL SYSTEM Plug and Play.
COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEMS: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Mac OS X / Linux
ANTENNA CONNECTOR: RP-SMA (detachable antenna)
COMPATIBLE WITH ENCRYPTION: WEP (64/128/256 bit) - WPA - WPA2 - TKIP.OPERATING TEMPERATURE: -20 º C - +70 º C

would that solve my problem to get stronger and stable wireless signal ?

Thanks.

Edited by h4x0r

Before you buy a high Dbi antenna you need to investigate a few things.

1) Is there any other wireless device, operating on the same channel as your wireless router or AP. To find out you need to fire up either netstumbler or kismet on a pc with wireless enabled. If you find a particular device operating on the same channel, I would recommend changing to one of the following channels, 1, 6 or 11, since they do not overlap with each other.

Smallnetbuilder has an excellent article explaining what channel overlapping means and how they affect wireless performance.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31190-when-wireless-lans-collide-how-to-beat-the-wireless-crowd

2) How to improve wireless speeds, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

3) If none of the above works try updating your router firmware.

Edit: By the way what wireless router are you using?

Edited by Infiltrator

Thy changing channel, 1,6,11 Perhaps it will help. Then try changing encryption, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, if older router try WEP encryption, just keep in mind, that wep can be cracked in minutes.

Thy changing channel, 1,6,11 Perhaps it will help. Then try changing encryption, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, if older router try WEP encryption, just keep in mind, that wep can be cracked in minutes.

Or upgrade the current firware to the latest release, that could have support for WPA encryption.

@Infiltrator: I am using Netgear DG834G while I am now using: Edimax EW-7318USg – Wireless 801.11b / g Turbo Mode USB 2.0 Hi-Gain Adapter / detachable antenna that is why i cannot use it to get full reception.

my intention is to be able to use my own wireless signal which is very weak that is why I am getting 2000mW antenna.

Is the device that I'm going to buy the right one to increase my WLAN signal / reception ?

I'm not looking into broadcasting my signal of course.

hopefully with 2000mW it shouldn't affect any health hazard.

Hi All,

I am having wireless network connectivity problem here at home, since I cannot move the wireless AP into anywhere closer to my room---

How far away you AP is from your laptop. Are there many walls between you and AP?

Perhaps moving AP a little so there are less walls or stuff between you and your computer.

When you fail to get connection, try to go closer or next to AP. Does it help. When moving back to your desk, does connection drop?

@Infiltrator: I am using Netgear DG834G while I am now using: Edimax EW-7318USg – Wireless 801.11b / g Turbo Mode USB 2.0 Hi-Gain Adapter / detachable antenna that is why i cannot use it to get full reception.

my intention is to be able to use my own wireless signal which is very weak that is why I am getting 2000mW antenna.

Is the device that I'm going to buy the right one to increase my WLAN signal / reception ?

I'm not looking into broadcasting my signal of course.

hopefully with 2000mW it shouldn't affect any health hazard.

As a test, try to find out how far can you move away from the access point, with the high gain antenna attached to the laptop.

You may or may not be able to get good signal strength, if there are a lot of walls in between you and the access point.

I know this is not what you want, but if else fails try upgrading your wireless router to a detachable antenna one, that will definitely improve signal strength and performance in general.

Edit: Or buy an additional wireless AP, to be placed on the dead spots of your house, to improve signal and coverage in general.

Edited by Infiltrator

Yes there are around 3 brick wall in between, it is not possible for me to relocate the modem as I don't have any closer phone socket.

No need to relocate the modem, it can stay where it is now.

If you can add another wireless router to the dead spots of your house, that should help improve signal strength.

The only issue is that you will have to run wires across the house or you can set up one of the wireless routers as a repeater,

also make sure they are not too far apart. Also when setting up a wireless as a repeater speed will slightly degrade, because of the configuration.

Edited by Infiltrator

Those netgear wireless router, don't have a very good antenna.

You should get good signals from a high gain antenna. I think that's what you should do.

Also look into buying a wireless router with external antennas, that should also improve the signals around your house.