Creating Windows User Accounts,

Infiltrator

Hi,

Has anyone ever attempted creating a Windows user account, using any Linux Live distribution CD. I'm just doing some experiments in my lab and wanted to know if that's possible at all.

I know it may be possible, but I am not certain how to achieve that. Any comments or suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Infiltrator

Not sure if they allow you to add users and passwords, but I know there are linux distros used for resetting passwords or just bypassing them (like Konboot). I've not had any luck with them working, and ended up having to use my UBCD4WIN iso to reset my NT password for a VM I couldn't remember the password to. The linux disc I tried didn't work, and I think that was the only function it had on it, was a live NT password reset disk.

I looked into this a little while ago and drew a blank. I don't think it's possible. If it were, I'm sure that there would be lots of "how to" notes floating around. Whenever I've seen anything about using a live Linux CD, it's often dealt with pulling data from the hard drive, or leaving something there, such as a backdoor or resetting/bypassing passwords.

Umm, I thought with Linux you could achieve almost anything. But that's not case. But I guess certain things are not practical.

Do you guys know any other way to achieve that? I guess I could use Metasploit.

I have usually been able to get win admin password by using OrphCrack live cd, you can also use a live linux cd to get the windows .SAM file and then crack it on another computer or I think I remember I had a live cd, think it was "Dukes nuke and boot" or maybe it was "Hirens" live boot cd but one of those type of cd's I had an option to delete the windows admin password completely.. but that was for Win XP, I am not sure if it will work for the newer win versions. OrphCrack will get it if it is 8 character or smaller I beleive, or you can add additional rainbow tables to crack it.

Then of course once you had admin access you can add/edit/delete all the user accounts that you want. I do not know of one though that is designed specifically to add a user.

Edited by 555

Ophcrarck has limitations and it may not always be effective for cracking passwords, NT offline password is only good for resetting passwords, not creating accounts.

Reason being, I am exploring other alternatives, to gain easy access to a machine, without the aid of password reset/recovering tools. What do you think?

Getting or cracking the password via linux isn't an issue, but writing to the SAM database and registry properly from a LiveDISC just to do a reset or add a user is another issue. I can't remember the tools name but its a live linux NT password reset tool I tried, might even be part of Hirens boot disk, not sure, but it didn't work for me on a VM, so as mentioned above, I used UBCD4WIN to reset it.

Like digip said, Konboot would be best as it does not really change anything itself (but does allow changes to occur), it just wedges itself in during the boot sequence and allows logging in as anyone without a password. Add a user, reboot. Maybe I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish I guess. If you get physical access, the game is over anyway, which I know you know.

Like digip said, Konboot would be best as it does not really change anything itself (but does allow changes to occur), it just wedges itself in during the boot sequence and allows logging in as anyone without a password. Add a user, reboot. Maybe I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish I guess. If you get physical access, the game is over anyway, which I know you know.

Haven't given much thoughts to Konboot, but I guess it does exactly what I want to achieve. Thanks for tip tough.