New linux video problem

darkzar99

ok i got linux all set up on my computer now, and I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI for my card, and also installed them, but when i watch video in VLC in full screen mode, the video plays as if there are no dirvers installed. how can i check to see if i have the latest drivers? or is there a different set of drivers that are recommended to be used in linux?

Not true. ATI's 'drivers' are pretty much an accelerated X server. You need to configure your X to make proper use of them. See /etc/X11/xorg.conf look for a Section "Device" and the Driver field it contains.

When you know the Section "Device" that has your ATI driver in it, note the Identifier that section uses. Make sure that the Section "Screen" uses that exact value for its Device setting.

Sometimes, shitty sound drivers can cause choppy playback too.

here is the device and screen sections, im not really sure what im looking for, or if it is all correct, like i said before, when playing video in vlc media player at normal size the video is almost as good quality as playing in windows (not 100% best though) and when i full screen or change size it starts looking like lagging streaming video

heres the two sections:

Section "Device"

Identifier  "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon X700 Pro (RV410)"

Driver      "vesa"

BusID       "PCI:6:0:0"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"

Driver      "fglrx"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Default Screen"

Device     "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon X700 Pro (RV410)"

Monitor    "SDM-S74"

DefaultDepth     24

SubSection "Display"

Depth     1

Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth     4

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth     8

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth     15

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth     16

EndSubSection

SubSection "Display"

Depth     24

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"

Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"

Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"

DefaultDepth     24

SubSection "Display"

Viewport   0 0

Depth     24

EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "Default Layout"

Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0

InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"

InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"

InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"

InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"

InputDevice    "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"

EndSection

if you need the code from the xorg.conf.original file i can post that too

It appears that it is using the ATI drivers, so it is a safe presumption that 3D hardware acceleration is functionaining.

So what exacly do you mean by "when i watch video in VLC in full screen mode, the video plays as if there are no dirvers installed."?

it is choppy, or i guess you could say that the framerate appears to be super low, i guess you would say that it is rendering the frames too slowly so it ends up skipping some, the audio is fine but the video looks horrible, like i said before this video plays fine in windows, im thinking that it has to have something to do with the drivers because the screensavers are running extremely slow too

You were correct Sparda, it was the hardware rendering not being used, i used the guide i posted before and now x-moto runs great and the video is like it should, thanks! however i am not using the ati drivers, its the fglrx i believe is what its called

You were correct Sparda, it was the hardware rendering not being used, i used the guide i posted before and now x-moto runs great and the video is like it should, thanks! however i am not using the ati drivers, its the fglrx i believe is what its called, the video is stretched a little so its not as smooth as i would like it but it iwll do

fglrx is the ATI driver, I suppose it's not too obviuse though...

I know the problem is solved, but this may help out next time. ATI drivers are sticky in Linux. An easy way to tell if your ATI drivers were installed correctly and are working fine (after restarting X of course) is to run the ATI control panel. It sould say which drivers are in use.

Also, to check that 3D is working on an ATI system, run fgl_glxgears. If it is more than 300 fps, it is probably working. Sometimes, however, you cannot get ATI drivers working in Linux. I have a Toshiba notebook, where you have to download the Windows drivers from Toshiba since ATI won't touch it. Tried every method I could to get the drivers working, and it would not work. Best advice for Linux+ATI is get nVidia.