Connect two laptops wirelessly?

Iain

Hi everyone

I have two laptops, each with XP Pro SP2 and built-in wireless. I know that I can connect them directly using a cross-over cable or via a router/switch to allow me to access one from the other, but can this be done directly without the need for any cabling or a router? If so, how? I guess I'd need to log one laptop into the other - but then I'm stumped!

You could always set one laptop up to be a sudo-wireless ap and then connect the other to it, you can have lots of fun with that and other people as well.

Your supposed to be able to create ad-hoc networks between two computers, usually you will find this in your drivers for your wireless card. Some laptops even come with this turned on by default which could be very dangerous.

You many have noticed that you can filter ad-hoc and ap in NetStumbler and other a like programs.

I'm sure you'll find your answer in your drivers and documentation.

make sure they are in the same workgroup (MSHOME for example) and enable ad-hoc mode

That won't do any good if the network isn;t working in the first place. How o you expect windows to send all the NetBIOS broadcasts every few seconds if it isn't connected to a network? :P

make sure they are in the same workgroup (MSHOME for example) and enable ad-hoc mode

That won't do any good if the network isn;t working in the first place. How o you expect windows to send all the NetBIOS broadcasts every few seconds if it isn't connected to a network? :P

Error: You don't expect windows to do anything, you hope and pray that it will do what you want it to.

Error: You don't expect windows to do anything, you hope and pray that it will do what you want it to.

Well... it does this weather you want it to or not... as soon as you put windows on a LAN it starts sending broadcast packets hoping to find others computer running windows. This is a bad thing, I was parodying it :P

Note: I'm guessing most poeple wouldn't understand the parody, you do have to properly understand network to actualy understand why it's bad.

Your gonna love vista then, it has a whole new shinny network mapping gizmo that goes far beyond that. Its cool if your network is locked down, but not if its public. MS have noted this, and made it fairly easy to say if your connection is public or private.

Well... it does this weather you want it to or not... as soon as you put windows on a LAN it starts sending broadcast packets hoping to find others computer running windows. This is a bad thing, I was parodying it :P

Note: I'm guessing most poeple wouldn't understand the parody, you do have to properly understand network to actualy understand why it's bad.

I know what you ment, I just laughed for a second because everyone eventually has problems with windows, even when doing simple things. And yes, the broadcast packets is a bad thing but that's something microsoft figured would work best (and it does) for their customers with little to no experience or knowledge of computer security. They designed the os to be as user friendly and easy to use as possible. Although something things just don't work for unknown reasons, every once in a while.

Your gonna love vista then, it has a whole new shinny network mapping gizmo that goes far beyond that. Its cool if your network is locked down, but not if its public. MS have noted this, and made it fairly easy to say if your connection is public or private.

I can't wait. :lol:

Ye, I herd about that. Didn't read too much about it though. It was basicly like a peer-to-peer service distrabuting information though out the LAN wasn't it? Or am I thinking of some thing else?

Would you happen to have any links to the specifc arrticals?

For thoughs who care, you can stop windows from sending these anoying broadcasts every few seconds if you disable the "Computer Browser" and "NetBIOS Helper" services. However as explained in the wiki, you will (or should) lose the ability to 'browse' the network for computers.