Car Computing

The Sorrow

Sounds interesting, may be have it attached to the dash board like a gps, so you don't have to keep your hands occupied while you are driving.

Do a bit of scripting to automate the process when war driving and also make it less attractive, in case you get pulled over by a cop.

Recently conceived an idea for a car computing system. Not sure where to get started. I'm thinking wireless access with a light load Linux to do some war driving. Its a DSM so its pretty small, plus i can GTFO need be. Any thoughts?

I would suggest takin a look at mp3car.com. They have several things of interest there.

I plan on starting a project like this one day soon. I was planning on puttin a linux system on an SSD drive and using a netbook for most all the part. my plan is to take the screen off and put a touchsceen panel on it with a custom bezel to match the car interior. I'm goin to mount the motherboard in a custom case with plenty of ventilation and mount it behind the dash under the radio. I can go on but I'll quit for now lol. Let me know if you'd like to hear more.

Edited by Dragon.Knight

I would suggest takin a look at mp3car.com. They have several things of interest there.

That is so sweet, that is exactly what I had in mind.

You could mod your glove compartment box to have a small fold out netbook pc, plus most glove compartments have locks on them, which is good and out of easy view.. I had a friend who modded his truck so he had a xbox controller that would make the hydrolics on his truck move around and control his vehicle with the xbox controller, that was pretty awesome.

Edited by 555

I did one about 6 yrs ago and mp3car.com was a great place to start

i just recently went back to that site to check things out

it's crazy how much better the equipment has gotten since then

this is my old car setup, I since sold the car and im waiting to buy a new car this year to make my new project car

http://www.whatsmypass.com/carputer/

Edited by illwill

Not sure about the law in the us but in the uk there cant be any moving images on the screen whilst the car is in drive. Dunno if car computers are the same but with in car dvd screens they should be fitted up to the handbrake so that when the hand brake is up the screen works and when its off a message is displayed. Easy cheap fix is to wire a small switch from here to under the seat or hidden away so when the cops pull you give the magic switch a wee flick and good times.

A like the idea of wireless. Would be cool if you could park your car in the garage and wirelessly sync with your media automatically. No more burning disks every time you want more music.

Not sure about the law in the us but in the uk there cant be any moving images on the screen whilst the car is in drive. Dunno if car computers are the same but with in car dvd screens they should be fitted up to the handbrake so that when the hand brake is up the screen works and when its off a message is displayed. Easy cheap fix is to wire a small switch from here to under the seat or hidden away so when the cops pull you give the magic switch a wee flick and good times.

A like the idea of wireless. Would be cool if you could park your car in the garage and wirelessly sync with your media automatically. No more burning disks every time you want more music.

I had a DVD player installed in my car. Due to legal issues, the screen isn't allowed to be used unless the e-brake is engaged (which was easily solved by grounding that cable ;) ).

You could always use a touch screen for your carputer. A friend of mine went that route and mounted the screen in his dash.

I did one about 6 yrs ago and mp3car.com was a great place to start

i just recently went back to that site to check things out

it's crazy how much better the equipment has gotten since then

this is my old car setup, I since sold the car and im waiting to buy a new car this year to make my new project car

http://www.whatsmypass.com/carputer/

Did you have a GPS unit setup with yours? I'm looking at doing that with mine when i get the time and money. I was planning on gettin a usb one like the bu-353 or the nd-100 from US Global Sat INC. I don't know how well it'll work with the system I plan to use but surely i'll manage to find a use for it if not lol

Quick question, does anyone know where i can find an adapter to plug in my ssd from a netbook to my desktop so that i can save the files before i reformat and install a new system? I'm getting my netbook ready to go into my case for my carputer but before i put it in there and close it up i want to have this done.

• 4 weeks later...

The SSD in your net book should just be SATA if you pop the side of your case open you should be able use a normal SATA cable.

If you built your own system check your mobo box as they normaly come with 2.

• 1 month later...

The SSD in your net book should just be SATA if you pop the side of your case open you should be able use a normal SATA cable.

If you built your own system check your mobo box as they normaly come with 2.

Sorry for the long delay without a reply but I recently moved and it took a while to find out who provides internet way out here in the woods lol.

I looked at my SSD and it actually looks like it's connector is that of a pci express and that's no good for me because I don't have any computers other than that one that has such a slot :( I can provide a pic if you think that would help any.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay without a reply but I recently moved and it took a while to find out who provides internet way out here in the woods lol.

I looked at my SSD and it actually looks like it's connector is that of a pci express and that's no good for me because I don't have any computers other than that one that has such a slot :( I can provide a pic if you think that would help any.

http://www.amazon.com/RunCore-70mm-50mm-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003BK4OZ8

• 1 month later...