Challenge

Brennan

I am going on vaction so I want to have access to my windows machine from home but I have tried ultra VNC but allways says can not connect and since I am running home on it so I can't use the remote desktop

<pointoutthelegalissue>

By running a VNC service on Windows XP Home you actualy violate the EULA of Windows XP Home, acording to the EULA Microsoft can legaly revoke your licence of Windows XP Home. The legality of Microsoft revoking your licens is highly questionable (obviusly it isn't if the software is plain pireted), so I wouldn't worry at all about this. I was just pointing out how stupid the EULA of windows is.

</pointoutthelegalissue>

I am going on vaction so I want to have access to my windows machine from home but I have tried ultra VNC but allways says can not connect and since I am running home on it so I can't use the remote desktop

Are you behind a router? If so you will need to set up portforwarding and nat transversal.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Go here, find your router on the list, then find ultraVNC. that should give you the instructions to set it up. If you can't find your exact router, just read something for a linksys or whatever, and work it out from there.

You will then need to get a dynamic dns record, from www.dynDNS.com (its free) and run a little program on your computer to update it. Or if your router supports it, put it in your router. This lets you have an address like mynamehere.ath.cx, which means you don't have to remeber your IP address. Then simply connect to mynamehere.ath.cx:5900.

Make sure you use a sercure password though, like a long phrase.

Fuck the EULA

Instead of port forwarding and dyndns, you might want to simply use Hamachi. Check out Security Now episode 14 if you want to learn about it. The advantages:

no port forwarding needed

gives a 5.*.*.* IP address that stays permanant for that install/user

runs as a service on windows, or will also run in Linux (need a bit o' shell scripting to make it run automatically)

encrypts all packets sent and received

requires a password to connect to it

disadvantage:

must be installed on host AND client

Then, after installing on the server machine, install on whatever other machine you are using and connect to your Hamachi server. Then run VNC to 5.your.Hamachi.address and there you go. You don't have to worry about packet sniffing, except from home, and only need to password protect VNC if you don't trust your firewall (you shouldn't).