Ping Ipv6

G-Stress

I don't see anything wrong with the hostname. When I ping my Windows 7 Machine hostname, I get a reply with an IPv6 address.

What you can do is, disable the IP6 version on your ethernet adapter and only leave the IPV4 version enabled and restart your computer.

In windows 7(and vista) ipv6 takes priority over v4, and as such, if anything responds with ipv6 you see that first. I disabled it on my windows 7 box, as well as disabled teredo, and also changed some registry settings to make ipv4 higher priority than ipv6. Until all ISP's switch to IPv6 and its been around a few years, I'm avoiding it for lack of relative knowledge at large, security flaws, etc. IPv6 is touted as being more secure, but I take that with a grain of salt, and will wait till we know for sure what we are up against.

Edited by digip

@ digip,

What is toredo? I figured that had something to do with ipv6, because I see it listed every ipconfig with ipv6 enabled. Those toredo psuedo tunneling adapters?

Its basically Microsoft's implementation of 6 to 4 tunneling. Allows you to reach an IPv6 device behind NAT when the NAT device only speaks IPv4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

Edited by digip

What is toredo? I figured that had something to do with ipv6, because I see it listed every ipconfig with ipv6 enabled. Those toredo psuedo tunneling adapters?

Darren did a couple of segments on IPv6 and Teredo a couple of months ago. I'd suggest that you take a look at them. I found them very useful and have done some further research about this whole topic since then. IPv6 is on the horizon (and has been for quite a while!) so we're all going to have to get familiar with it.