(freeBSD) KDE 3.5 + mysql5 = fubar

VaKo

I'm having troubles installing KDE (i like it more than gnome and fluxbox) on my freeBSD box.

I start by installing FreeBSD, then CVSUP and updating the ports database before i do anything. Then I installed mysql5-server, apache22 and php5 to setup the webserver side of things. This all works fine, and has no problems.

But when I install KDE 3.5, (via pkg_add -r kde) I get errors where it complains that I have mysql5 installed, and that it wants version 4 instead. I'm not exactly sure of the errors as the code scrolls past to quickly for me to be able to read it exactly. But when I try and start X it gets as far as loading the mouse cursor, then dumps be back to CLI saying it cannot find a configuration file.

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something obviously wrong?

I'm going to try compiling kde on my box, rather than using pkg_add, but I'm not sure this is going to help me in the slightest.

This is probably happening because your KDE package hasn't been updated.

As I see it, you have two options that MAY work:

1. - Drastic and Easy - this one simply ducks around the dependency checks when installing KDE

Simply reinstall FreeBSD and install KDE before you install MySQL, PHP etc packages in the terminal. Do them all after you install KDE as you may have only gotten to one of several errors that would have came up if the install continued.

**you may not have to reinstall FreeBSD, but rather just uninstall your server packages.

2. - Much fancier and more dificult. - This one fools KDE to load, even though it failed a dependency check, as the package is out of of date.

**I have have done this on multiple linux distros, so NO GARUNTEES for FreeBsOD. :wink: **

Chances are, you have a config file for the X server system, but it is not updated for KDE.

look for this file on your local filesystem. (I think this is it on most UNIX varieties. Could be wrong though.)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you are sure that this file doesn't exist, and isnt named something different, you'll have to go option one.

If you can copy it into this thread and I can see what sort of problems you have. Most likely the file is set to start Gnome or Fluxbox, or whatever you had. Since It loads your cursor, It must be partly right, or loading your previous gui. I can tell you whats going on if I can have a look at the file. Chances are that it can be fixed. I'm not sure if it is worth your trouble unless you have important shit on there.

Feel free to ask for clarification/questions if I forgot something

Installing kde via the pkg_add function before mysql5 just ment that mysql5 wouldn't install (clashed with version4). I know bsd is ment to be able to have different versions of software installed side by side, but i haven't worked out how to do that yet.

As for the 2nd option, its a clean install so there aren't gnome or fluxbox leftovers there. I think that compiling KDE might have fixed this, as there don't appear to be any errors so far. Can't see xorg.conf anywhere so i'll wait until its done compiling and installing KDE and have another stab at it.

Dual P3 500mhz with 1GB of SDRAM.... once its done its suprisingly responsive but it takes an age to compile stuff. Everything worked fine last time but I decided to try ubuntu, nothing has worked since...

Torch the FreeBsOD :wink: partition and install something more widely used and better supported, like Linux. I love SuSE 10.1 as it can be easier than Lindsay Lohan (bad joke) or as hard as you want it to be. You can use YaST to do anything, or you can do it in the command line. YaST is especially handy at 4 in the morning, when I'm too tired to risk my system.

It worked before, thats the annoying thing, I just can't remeber what I did to make it do so. Gonna try gnome on it, but that failed after i deinstalled kde. god this is pissing me off.

As for suse 10.1, love the OS, works like a charm on my laptop.

Just remove all instances of mysql. Install kde via package source. Then download and install mysql manually. Its a lot easier. Package source is nice...but when it b0rks it fukin b0rks. Im sure its just a case of simple make file edit..but who the fuk can be bothered to search and find it. Yup I say when in doubt do it manually.

Dual P3 500mhz with 1GB of SDRAM.... once its done its suprisingly responsive but it takes an age to compile stuff. Everything worked fine last time but I decided to try ubuntu, nothing has worked since...

I hate Ubuntu it’s a piece of crippled, bloated shit, anyone thinking of using it should consider SUSE if you want a polished, easy to install desktop and if your using Ubuntu on a server well don’t.

Debian is so much better then Ubuntu and takes less time to install, whether it’s a desktop or server.

I hate Ubuntu it’s a piece of crippled, bloated shit, anyone thinking of using it should consider SUSE if you want a polished, easy to install desktop and if your using Ubuntu on a server well don’t.

Have to agree there, its never worked as advertized for me. The server side of it was borked from the first second it installed and the desktop won't do more than 800x600@50hz on my older kit...

I have a flight home this afternoon and as soon as I get home I’m ripping Ubuntu server edition of my test server as I have concluded that its shit and will probably give FreeBSD another chance to see if it does anything better then OpenBSD which I run on most my servers.