Esxi High Availability Clusters

In two weeks I start my new Sysadmin job and virtualisation will be the first project I will be working on along with normal duties and this is the proposed solutions. Anyone done any waork with them or set one up. I have done the ESXi on a PC thing before, but haven't really done it with clusters. Will be using iSCSI SAN for storage. Any tips or pitfalls to look out would be nice. I will get it done anyway but I figure it won't hurt to start gathering info.

This is one time I'd say it would be good if Matt was still around. He seems to be the guy on this sort of thing. I know Wess has some experience with Virtualization as well, so if you still have contact with them outside of the forums, I would pick their brains for some tips.

Openfiler works with ESXi and iSCSI, not the best solution but its fine for a lab. So you just need 3 machines and a VM, so you can have 2 ESXi nodes, connected to Openfiler for iSCSI storage, and a Server 2008 VM for vSphere. This will give you a workable lab setup, and using the demo version of vSphere you can try the dynamic power/resource management and migration features out, which is what you don't get with standalone ESXi. Apart from that, if your familiar with ESXi, you should be golden.

I work with a FC based cluster, so I can't help much on the iSCSI stuff (beyond enable JUMBO frames and separate traffic via a VLAN) but clustering I can help with.

I'm not sure what they are running on the SAN atm, won't really know till I start. I was hoping fro FC but will see what happens, it's going to go under planning etc when I get there and will be trying a few different options. TBH I would prefer to be going with RHEL and KVM, but will see how we go. Thanks for the tips though, I will keep doing some research so I can hit the ground running.

• 5 weeks later...

What exactly are you looking to understand? The inner workings of ESX/ESXi (hypervisor)? How to setup a cluster (VM or MS?)? How the hosts talk to a SAN?

It's kind of a broad subject, if you could hone in on a topic or a couple topics I'd be happy to answer some questions. And not anything against you, believe me, but I hope they aren't going to just go "here's a SAN and VMware manage it!".

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I mean vSphere/ESXi is pretty old technology.

Virtualisation has moved on. I'd reccomend telling your CTO to look at Hyper-V :)

In term's of coniguration it's all quite logical. Everythings architectured to represent a Datacenter.

Datacenter1 --> Cluster 1 --> Machine1 --> VM1

VM2

Vm3

Machine2 --> VM1

VM2

Cluster 2 --> Machine1 --> VM1

VM2

Vm3

Datacenter2 --> Cluster 3 --> Machine1 --> VM1

VM2

Vm3

Machine2 --> VM1