Virtual Box

astromech_kuhns

i was trying to install virtual box on my windows XP 32-bit system with service pack 3 and as the installation was just about finished, a warning came up saying this that the software had not passed the windows logo testing and that it may impair or destabilize the correct operation of my system.

im wondering is this standard and simply because it will be running a virtual version of another OS or did something go wrong with my setup?

thank you, i did that and it installed.

so now i have come to another question.

basically i try to create a new VM. i follow the instructions. when i go to enter the brand new VM it asks for a bootable drive or something, the only one listed is D drive, and then when i try to run it, it comes up black with words and reads something along the lines of no boot able media or something.

tried to check the PDF already.

You either need a virtualbox hard drive file, an ISO image, or a actual CD of whatever OS you want to install. Click the settings button, then storage, there should be whatever you named the hard drive.vdi, and then "empty" under that.

(If you have an ISO of your OS), then to the right of that, CD/DVD device, and there should be a folder with a little upwards arrow. Click the folder with the arrow, then add, then select your ISO and hit ok or whatever.

if you have the cd/dvd, just select the drive it's in.

If you have the VDI hard drive file, use that instead of creating a new hard drive.

I think I understand what you were saying, if I was way off, let me know.

You either need a virtualbox hard drive file, an ISO image, or a actual CD of whatever OS you want to install. Click the settings button, then storage, there should be whatever you named the hard drive.vdi, and then "empty" under that.

(If you have an ISO of your OS), then to the right of that, CD/DVD device, and there should be a folder with a little upwards arrow. Click the folder with the arrow, then add, then select your ISO and hit ok or whatever.

if you have the cd/dvd, just select the drive it's in.

If you have the VDI hard drive file, use that instead of creating a new hard drive.

I think I understand what you were saying, if I was way off, let me know.

if i have this correct i have to have an iso image for the OS in order for the virtual machine to run it. basically extracting the contents. and the local drive D; which is the DVD drive i just change that to the location of the iso image?

so besides linux, i can grab those, where do i get a vista and 7 iso image?

The "empty" thing I was saying before, is the CD/DVD for your virtual machine, and you have the option of letting it use your actual optical drive, or using an image of a CD/DVD (the iso). The VM will read the ISO just like a cd, no extracting or anything needed.

As for the ISO files, if your a student and your school is part of the Microsoft academic alliance, you can download them. I've heard rumors of "unsavory" places on the "interwebs" where one could procure such things, but those just might be rumors... I also think there might be a Microsoft single user download for XP for free from Microsoft, but I can't remember when or where I heard that, or even if I heard it right.

I heard there is issues running win 7 in a VM, I'll make one here in a few minutes to test it.

ok, i will downlaod the linux iso images i want, those are the main ones that i wanted anyway, vista and 7 would just be fun, ill find those to im sure ;)

thank you a ton for your help, i really appreciate it, it looks like you help many people on here from a glance of some of the threads i have seen. thats awesome and it is much appreciated!

NP, I would offer for you to PM me if you have any questions...but in like the 2 years I've been a member here I've only gotten 1 PM, so chances are it'd be like 2012 before i realized I had another message. =P

But you understand how to set up an ISO, for when you download it?

But you understand how to set up an ISO, for when you download it?

by that you mean? i am just going into the file system and selecting the iso file instead of the D; drive correct? or am i putting the iso file on a disc or do i burn the iso image to a disc to make it bootable and continue to select D; drive?

No need to burn the ISO to a disc or anything. It sounds like your planning on selecting the ISO from inside the VM of of which the ISO has the OS for. You just select the ISO in the storage part of settings for the VM you want to install it on. You have to do this before you turn the virtual machine on, if you don't, it has nothing to boot and gives you that no boot media error.

I honestly have no idea what I was going to type after the pic, I'm no longer sure if the pic is even needed anymore, but I'm uploading it anyway, incase it helps. I'll be back and make more sense tomorrow if you are still having issues.

Best of luck!

QUsoJ.jpg

DISCLAIMER**

And as this night progresses things make less and less sense to me, so if I read something wrong or don't answer your question and go off on a rant, I'll be back tomorrow refreshed and hopefully can correct anything I say now, should it be wrong.

You could try VMware.

i got it to boot into ubuntu but it says unable to allocate lock memory. and your making fine sense.

aslo i may try that other program if this one doesnt work.

EDIT: i ran it again to try to bring up the error, and it did, so i whent to the details section and it said the host's memory is low. so im guessing i need to keep more ram here..... or better yet, buy more ram. i just really dont want to invest 30 dollars to this machine.

Edited by astromech_kuhns

You can change how much ram is allocated for the VM under the settings then system tab. This is how much ram the VM can use. I think the min for ubuntu is like 192 megs, but while you do this, your host machine won't be able to use that ram, so it could become a balancing act.

You can change how much ram is allocated for the VM under the settings then system tab. This is how much ram the VM can use. I think the min for ubuntu is like 192 megs, but while you do this, your host machine won't be able to use that ram, so it could become a balancing act.

yeah its installing now, i changed that and got it working. it is a balancing act. basically though im going to need to wait to build my computer before i get more ram. might as well have patience and put the money to what i want than to something that will hold me over.

In response to you can try VMware while I stand by it 100%... About to get my VCP... Sun on a lower end machine is killer and there ability to use 3d graphics "kind of" makes Sun virtual box a very nice choice to start out on. I've used both a lot. Only reason I have VMware on a laptop is I use it for work.

Setting a Ubuntu box at 512mb ram is plenty in a vm :-)