Raid5 Vmware

Guest darkeyzs

Guest darkeyzs

hi sirs

was trying to setup raid5 in vmware with linux but ain´t getting there

once i did a raid5 with 2008 server in vmware and it was great but this time at linux :(

does it support raid5 linux in virtualbox?

what distro is best to use?

what steps 1,2,3,4 should i take

P.S- i posted wrong not using vmware but virtualbox but i will listen advice for both vmware and virtualbox

take care

Edited by darkeyzs

How is the raid set up? Are you talking virtual raid, or using a physical raid array for storage of your VM?

hi sirs

once i did a raid5 with 2008 server in vmware and it was great but this time at linux :(

P.S- i posted wrong not using vmware but virtualbox but i will listen advice for both vmware and virtualbox

take care

To be honest, a virtual RAID5 made from VHD's will be pointless. I could possibly see a use for a virtual RAID1, but certainly not a virtual RAID5.

If your talking about the host machine and not the VM's, I would suggest a hardware RAID10 for running machines from and a hardware RAID5 for data storage. If your doing software RAID, then a RAID1 would be better.

hi sirs

take care

What Linux distribution are you using? I haven't used Virtualbox, so I can't commend on that, but you should definitely try VMware, it may work for what you are trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darkeyzs
What Linux distribution are you using? I haven't used Virtualbox, so I can't commend on that, but you should definitely try VMware, it may work for what you are trying to do.

i used ubuntu

virtualbox works too but i aint too good settuping up raids at linux

your right vmware is better i have to install it one day happens that vmware asks too many registering that gets me nervous

• 3 years later...