Stumbled On Something Odd...

Mr-Protocol

I was looking around to find a open source wifi complete DIY anything so I don't have to meddle with other companies. And I found this link cause I was checking out this company's wifi routers which are dd-wrt compatible.

http://wifirush.com/store/products/High-Po...SB-Adaptor.html

On the bottom of that specific router I noticed something odd..

Box Content:

USB Adaptor

Antenna

USB cable

Driver CD

Backtrack 3 CD for WEP Password recovery

Though it looks like an Alpha Wireless Adapter, security is clear a concern there for me.

Is it me, or did that not say WPA anywhere? I wouldn't use anything wireless that can only do wep. I think about the only thing this would be good for is if you were taking the Offsec courses and needed to learn how to crack wep or something, but other than that, it would be useless if the hardware isnt capable of WPA. I cant see how it wouldn't be though if its DD-WRT compatible, im just not sure of its the hardware that makes it capable of WPA or if that is strictly a software deal. Although WPA might be based on how much memory is required, so I can see that being an issue if WPA has massive storage needs and processing power that the device cant handle.

I was just making mention that they include a BT3 CD for "WPA Recovery".

It is a "solution" for a WiFi hotspot and yeah I agree WPA is the way to go. But that would require a passkey. For a hotspot open with RADIUS is less of a management hassle. Just found it odd they are including a pen testing distro with anything...

Not only that I doubt the average user even knows wtf do to with it lol.

I was just making mention that they include a BT3 CD for "WPA Recovery".

It is a "solution" for a WiFi hotspot and yeah I agree WPA is the way to go. But that would require a passkey. For a hotspot open with RADIUS is less of a management hassle. Just found it odd they are including a pen testing distro with anything...

Not only that I doubt the average user even knows wtf do to with it lol.

That's why Google should be used more often.