Wireless Access Point Vs Wireless Card

7h3kk1d

What would you advice for a home network. If you had a smoothwall router like the one darren built would you put wifi into it or buy a wireless N router and hook it up as a wireless access point? any other ideas post below.

What would you advice for a home network. If you had a smoothwall router like the one darren built would you put wifi into it or buy a wireless N router and hook it up as a wireless access point? any other ideas post below.

For security reasons I would rather connect a wireless AP to Smoothwall instead of turning it into a hotspot.

Secondly, I would beef up the wireless security with WPA2 and radius authentication to ensure security is effective. And to add another layer of security, I would deploy IDS by turning the Snort option on in the Smoothwall settings.

Edited by Infiltrator

For security reasons I would rather connect a wireless AP to Smoothwall instead of turning it into a hotspot.

Secondly, I would beef up the wireless security with WPA2 and radius authentication to ensure security is effective. And to add another layer of security, I would deploy IDS by turning the Snort option on in the Smoothwall settings.

Is there any other reasons than security. I would definitely like WPA2 but realistically I don't need extreme amounts of security for the purpose of my network and my environment.

Is there any other reasons than security. I would definitely like WPA2 but realistically I don't need extreme amounts of security for the purpose of my network and my environment.

That's how I would deploy my smoothwall and the wireless AP both isolated from each other. But if security is not a major requirement for you and as long as you maintain smoothwall up to date with all the latest patches, there is nothing preventing you from installing a wireless adapter.

I guess in terms of managing the number of devices on the network, having Smoothwall providing internet/file access via a wireless adapter makes perfect sense to me, besides you don't have to spend money to buy a wireless device when you can have SmoothWall providing.

Hope that helps.

That's how I would deploy my smoothwall and the wireless AP both isolated from each other. But if security is not a major requirement for you and as long as you maintain smoothwall up to date with all the latest patches, there is nothing preventing you from installing a wireless adapter.

I guess in terms of managing the number of devices on the network, having Smoothwall providing internet/file access via a wireless adapter makes perfect sense to me, besides you don't have to spend money to buy a wireless device when you can have SmoothWall providing.

Hope that helps.

It sure does, thank you very much. I'm just trying to figure out what card fits my needs.

Try one of these wireless cards, if they are appealing to you

D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter

ASUS PCE-N13 WLAN PCI-Express 11n Wireless Adapter Windows 7 Support, PCI-E x1

Edited by Infiltrator

The main reason for not using smoothwall as your wireless AP, and hanging a WAP off of one of the optional interfaces is because smoothwall has shit wireless support.

Apart from Shit support, does it offer a good performance when it comes to using a wireless card. Or the performance would be equal, if you were using an AP