What Point To Much Cpu Power? For Smoothwall?

DaBeach

CPU clock speed has little meaning any more.

Depends on the size of the network and the number of simulatious connections that are going to be used. Though the number connections effects memory more than CPU.

A single core Atom with 1GB of RAM would be loads enough for either of these. When it is a waste? Well, theoretically it would be a waste as soon as the CPU is able to handle more data than can be received and sent cumulatively on all network adapters, this is probably around the 66MHz range. As for memory, it becomes a waste as soon as you reach the limit to the number of open connections your internet connection allows, can't be bother to work this out, it's probably around the 16MB range.

CPU clock speed has little meaning any more.

Depends on the size of the network and the number of simulatious connections that are going to be used. Though the number connections effects memory more than CPU.

A single core Atom with 1GB of RAM would be loads enough for either of these. When it is a waste? Well, theoretically it would be a waste as soon as the CPU is able to handle more data than can be received and sent cumulatively on all network adapters, this is probably around the 66MHz range. As for memory, it becomes a waste as soon as you reach the limit to the number of open connections your internet connection allows, can't be bother to work this out, it's probably around the 16MB range.

So, the ATOM as described above is far beyond both CPU and memory requirements for an active LAN with at least 4 desktops running. And would you also say that the 2GB RAM as in Darrens smoothwall box is far too much? I am testing a 3GHz with 1GBram P4 system and so far I am only using 6% of my ram, so putting another 1GB would be a waste right?

With Smoothwall as the example, what would you say is the most CPU/Memory consuming action or proceedure which if was being used would make a person opt for more memory or power?

I ask these questions as if everything continues to go well for this project I would like to purchase a mini itx system for the final router setup and want to make sure to purchase the right setup.

Thank you for your help.

I think the best way to find out, if more ram or a faster CPU is required. Is through a series of perfomance tests, the moment you see the system start to consume lots of ram then I would say a memory upgrade is essential.

For CPU requirements the one you are currently using should be powerful enough and in your case you only have a very few number of desktop computers and your system is capable enough to handle them.

Edited by Infiltrator