Satellite Fun

systemd0wn

I currently do some work with satcom and wanted to know if anyone was into satellite hacking. I read some articles about the stuff going on in Brazil when it came out and it got me thinking on it some more. I'm not specifically talking about decrypting HBO or anything. I'm talking more the data side of the house.

-systemd0wn

I currently do some work with satcom and wanted to know if anyone was into satellite hacking. I read some articles about the stuff going on in Brazil when it came out and it got me thinking on it some more. I'm not specifically talking about decrypting HBO or anything. I'm talking more the data side of the house.

-systemd0wn

I will be taking a Digital Communications course which I think the class on a nice day goes outside and tries to find FTA channels. I can update when the course is offered and I take it.

As for the hacking, From what I heard there was a big recent change in how things work. Only one FTA receiver can decode the signal right now last I looked into it.

Thats cool. I'm not really talking about Free-To-Air (FTA). For instance i work with a Via-Sat gear like the linkway modem. Allows for full mesh IP networks over satellite. Anyway, I'm not real spun up on all the hardware besides basic configurations and I would like to find a less pricey alternative to all the commercial shit i work with. That way i can play around with doing some of the same things on my own.

I use Satellite IP connections regularly in my job. - VSAT for radio contributions and BGAN modems for cheapo TV two-ways and I must admit I have not given much thought to security -you have got me thinking, -though I would have thought a "man-in-the-middle" attack would be difficult on a Satellite uplink! :rolleyes:

I use Satellite IP connections regularly in my job. - VSAT for radio contributions and BGAN modems for cheapo TV two-ways and I must admit I have not given much thought to security -you have got me thinking, -though I would have thought a "man-in-the-middle" attack would be difficult on a Satellite uplink! :rolleyes:

Ya, i've used VSAT and as I speak i'm sitting next to a couple BGANs.

The only way you have any protection from sniffing and man in the middle attacks is if you utilize some type of encryption. It could be a tunnel created on your cisco router or some type of hardware based encryption device. Otherwise why wouldn't you be able to scan through freqs and see what people are transmitting? That's just on the passive side. Who knows what you could accomplish if you were transmitting.

Satcomm always has me thinking because you can basically play around for short periods of time with impunity.

You're using your BGAN for two way TV? Can you elaborate?

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone of your has read this article but it may be possible to sniff a satellite traffic with the right gear.

http://www.darknet.org.uk/2009/02/satellit...a-isnt-private/

hacking that kind of stuff will only get you into lots of trouble

Well that depends what kind of hacker you are, the kind that does good to the community or the kind that causes havoc. Even though I do not support the black hats, I am in favor for the grey hats.

Edited by Infiltrator

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone of your has read this article but it may be possible to sniff a satellite traffic with the right gear.

http://www.darknet.org.uk/2009/02/satellit...a-isnt-private/

I'm glad you posted that, it is one of the articles that really got me thinking. Well, the article they are quoting anyway.

So speaking of that if anyone has some time to do some research on the specific hardware they are using that would be awesome. I would love to setup a kit with the minimum $$ (isn't that everyones goal?) With work the way it is I just don't have time to do any research. When I do i'll be sure to post my results.

-systemd0wn

tbh i doubt any governing body / the owners would be impressed even if you were only poking about

seriously look @ what the us did with that british hacker and he wasnt hacking sats

Edited by Trip

THIS IS OFF TOPIC, Why is it that people feel the urge to become another human beings moral compass? I have never fully understood that. I do understand the need to punish those who deviate from the law. I do understand that you must pass on the difference of right and wrong to children. I do not understand why one would explain to another adult. It is very rarely out of ignorance that one breaks the law but rather because he or she is willing to accept the consequences. They have mitigated their risk as much as they can and from there decide if it is worth it or not. To say anything other than the most basic "just so you know, that's illegal" is down right condescending and unnecessary.

Anyway, i think the point has been missed. No active connection is needed to sit and listen to what the satellites are sending you. They just send everything they have down to the earth. If you are within that footprint then Woohoo! You get to see it. That's all I'm talking about, the other was just a reference to what has been in the news.

lol ... i didn't mean to sound like that

i was merely stating the consequences he faced hacking something less expensive

crashing a satellite is a little more severe than a pc

sniffing data is different tho

Real Time Satellite Tracking: http://www.n2yo.com

They probably have every satellite in the sky listed on this site. Not only that but it's location, and other information such as what it was designed to do, what band it operates on, whether it is geostationary, just about everything you would need to know about a satellite. :)

Also there is: http://www.amsat.org

The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation, allows for licensed amateur radio operators (HAMs) to participate in space research and communications. So there ya go, get your HAM license and you can legally connect up to these.

Edited by systemd0wn