Wifi Mapped Area.

biob

Hi all, this is my first post. My problem is, I would like to monitor the wifi signal strength in four points in my garden every few seconds for a given access point/client. I know I could do this with four computers, but this would a bit of an overkill. Are there any devices that I could use to do this? I want to be able to use the data every few seconds to produce a heat map so that varing signal strengths can be seen (even seeing clients move?).I hope to generate the heat maps using python. Thank you in advance for any information/advice that can be provided.

thank you for your speedy responce metatron.kismet would be my software of choice, but what cheap hardware could i run this on? As running it on four computers would be an over kill.

thank you for your speedy responce metatron.kismet would be my software of choice, but what cheap hardware could i run this on? As running it on four computers would be an over kill.

An old Linksys NSLU2 with a USB wireless card or a GuruPlug would do it. Kismet drones via WRT54GL would also work but they tend to cost a lot for really old equipment.

Edited by metatron

You can install kismet-drone on a Fon, so you would need 4 Fons and 4 really long ethernet cables.

Those Open Mesh routers are cheap enough. Nice thing about Linksys slugs and GuruPlus is you can have more than one wireless card. One in monitor mode the other for connecting.

Edited by metatron

Those Open Mesh routers are cheap enough. Nice thing about Linksys slugs and GuruPlus is you can have more than one wireless card. One in monitor mode the other for connecting.

WRT54gs' are pretty cheap. They'll run kismet drone, or, if you hack in a sd card in one, it can run kismet server. You can daisy chain them together, so no need for stupidly long cables, unless your yard is really big.

• 3 weeks later...