Computer Just Slows Down

gcninja

So one day Im using my computer and the next day less than 24 hours later i boot it up and its SLOW so SLOW, i mean 10-15 too boot when it used to take less than 3. To do any thing is killer, if i leave it on, i can get a burst of speed for about 5minutes but thats it. When i got to safe mode though, its faster. I think its the video driver as one of the boots into normal it said that my appearance setting might be too high and be slowing my computer down, i doubt that as its been like this for at least 4 months.

Now, before this occurred for about a week, everytime i rebooted id lose my usb, wifi and ethernet drivers. They worked in ubuntu and provide power (as i used a fan pad under it) and it got pretty annoying but i know everything worked still. SO should i just reinstall? I dont have the disc, and the recovery drive is not an option on the advanced boot menu, otherwise i would reinstall, is it possible to add this option back? thanks guys

the alt f10 doesnt work the f8 does but its not in the advanced boot menu, is it possible to add it? i know i have the 7gb recovery drive ive seen it and all, but its not selectable, i got this off a friend 3 months ago and never needed it, i cant see how it could be removed..

1 trick you can try before getting too down and dirty with a backup and resintall, Create a new user profile and boot into it! If it works like normal, then give that profile ownership of your old one and copy out your important files, and then delete the old user profile. Windows is known to have issues like this, especially in Vista (and even more when using roaming profiles for domains only). For wahtever reason, it may just be a bad profile, so creating a new user might make your problems go away. Iv'e seen this sort of thing work many times, so give it a shot.

If that doesn't work, then its probably a bad driver or even an incompatible windows update, if not even Malware. Have you scanned your system, say offline using a boot disc with live cd/antivirus, etc.

Try a restore point, but if that doesnt work its hell tyring to diagnose the problem without being the owner and knowing what was happening on the system. Like suggested, I would backup eveyrthing and resintall. If its not a driver issue then use DoubleDriver to backup all your laptops drivers and then reinstall the system just to be safe.

Edited by digip

Before you format your computer, check for the number of processes running on the background (Taskman.exe). If you are over 50 processes, try closing down the ones that you don't require.

Also take note, for any particular process that may be hogging the CPU resources. In most cases, this will be the likely cause of slow performances.

If that doesn't work, try rolling back any drivers, you have updated recently, and see if that makes any difference.

Let me know how you go.

Edited by Infiltrator

Good luck. You could also try running Hijackthis and see what it finds.

Not that it'll help you, but I've been in the habit of imaging a machine after I do a clean install and get all the drivers and apps and junk that I use installed.

Saves me a hell of a lot of time, if I want to start fresh.

Edited by Charles

i installed the gateway recovery program but everytime i restart after selecting it from the thing it doesnt boot the recovery program

dammit all to hell

Did you try creating/logging in as a new user like I mentioned, or did it not help?

Yep, two most likely things if you're sure your system is clean of viruses and you havent installed anything recently. Either WU installed an incompatible driver or the user profiles corrupted. Try a different user profile, than start rolling back any drivers WU recently updated. Uninstall your keyboard/mouse (it should re-install when you reboot). Re-install NIC driver.

If you're looking for a quick way out with a re-install check to see if the recovery partitions got a .WIM or extracted filesystem with the standard windows structure. If thats the case you can add an entry to boot it to your bootloader using EasyBCD in Windows.