Anti-virus Suggestions

supereater14

yeah avast is by far the least annoying :)

but totally convinced it doesnt pick some malware up

throws hardly any false positives (dont know whether to be happy or sad lol)

the other day i checked through my process list and found an exe calle 'Fix Camera.exe'

searched for it on google and found it was malware

deleted the file and removed it from the registry group

but avast didnt pick it up lols

nor does it detect my keylogger :) ... happy dayz

I understand that, viruses and worms are getting very sneakier nowadays, no matter what you should once a week scan your whole machine. Just to be on the safe side. Or alternatively you could consider another antivirus.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account

You say AV is dead yet you are using AV just because its in the cloud doesnt mean it is not an AV. However it was an interesting read and most of it is good advice (besides removing all AV and paying for Panda) i would rather pay for kaspersky or just use free/opensource AV as well as a professional source. I used to use Kaspersky and Avast! 5 then i used Commodo firewall and defense + and on top of that i would have Spybot S & D.

Then on top of all of that i would run AV from a boot disk (the one on UBCD4WIN). but then again i am paranoid about my works network i have about 4 firewalls on the network 2 DMZ's an IPS, IDS, Vlan Switches, Lan switches, VMs, honey pots, Full Disk Encryption, AV's, USB blocking tool (cant remember the name), File monitoring tool (again cant remember the name but it monitors specific files (ie. My Documents) and prevents any read/write/delete/modifing etc. without enter a password and key file :) )

My typical lines of defense are usually:

AV: Sunbelt VIPRE or Microsoft Security Essentials both catch a ton of traces

Firewall: Definately Comodo Free Firewall, I ran a few online firewall tests and it checked out nicely.

Scanners: Then I have SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware for extra scans

Mind you this is on Windows I currently don't have linux installed on this box but I plan on it soon.

My typical lines of defense are usually:

AV: Sunbelt VIPRE or Microsoft Security Essentials both catch a ton of traces

Firewall: Definately Comodo Free Firewall, I ran a few online firewall tests and it checked out nicely.

Scanners: Then I have SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware for extra scans

Mind you this is on Windows I currently don't have linux installed on this box but I plan on it soon.

What websites do you use for running online firewall testing, just curious that's all.

lol just did shields up test and got 100% stealthed :) leak test passed as well (in my win xp vm :P) no linux version :(

Thanks for that.

comodo is good and free

it is a hips (host-basised intrusion protection systeml as well as an antivirus so even if it dosnt stop the virus the firewall will (its not very often one slips past the antivirus)

I have only tried the firewall version and I'd say its one of the best firewalls I've had. And the good thing, is you can build and customize your own firewall box with Comodo Firewall to give your networked computers at home a better protection.

Edited by Infiltrator

I like Trend (at least for work). Whatever you end up picking, make sure it's not McAfee :P : http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/mcafee-...wn-xp-machines/

McAfee that's what I used on my very first computer Pentium Celeron 400MHZ. I used it without knowing how good it was. But that was like ages ago. Now I use Avast 5

I have only tried the firewall version and I'd say its one of the best firewalls I've had. And the good thing, is you can build and customize your own firewall box with Comodo Firewall to give your networked computers at home a better protection.

Probably be easier to just run a small box with pfSense or something similar, wouldn't it?

Probably be easier to just run a small box with pfSense or something similar, wouldn't it?

Yeap less electricity wasted and more manageable. It makes perfect sense.

• 2 weeks later...

not really becasue comodo firewall only takes up 4MB so it is hardly resource heavy (it also moniters what happens on your computer and not just traphic from internet so it stops a lot of viruses that way that are on comp if you happen to get any and if you are unsure of a file there is an option in comodo to send it to them, so they will analyise it for you

not really becasue comodo firewall only takes up 4MB so it is hardly resource heavy (it also moniters what happens on your computer and not just traphic from internet so it stops a lot of viruses that way that are on comp if you happen to get any and if you are unsure of a file there is an option in comodo to send it to them, so they will analyise it for you

If I am not mistaken I think the latest version of Comodo firewall comes with some sort of IDS as part of its security measures. Which will alert to you of anything that tries to alter the system files or registry.

If I am not mistaken I think the latest version of Comodo firewall comes with some sort of IDS as part of its security measures. Which will alert to you of anything that tries to alter the system files or registry.

Yep, Defense+ and I LOVE it!