Movie

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

Hello again,

For my filmography course our final assignment is to make our own 90 min movie and, of course, mine is going to be about hacking. It is going to be similar to Hackers but in todays world. Basically a group of teen hackers are going to have to stop an evil wanna be hacker. What i am looking for are suggestions on what to incorporate into the movie. Basically i want to stay as realistic as possible but not bore the audience at the same time, so unfortunately this means i will need some "hollywood" style effects :(. This is what i have so far that will be used for hacking scenes :

1) BackTrack 3 and 4

2) spoonwep/WPA (for the hollywood feel )

3) nmap

4) Fast-Track (for autopwn again hollywood :yuck: )

5) Metasploit

6) ????

So basically thats what we have come up with so far. What i would like is any hints at a fake "IP tracer" (hollywood like ) a fake Virus Creation Kit (you know to make it look like evil guy is coding a virus but again needs to be hollywood like. and any other sugestions but basically if you know any such programs for linux or work in wine :P. I may just throw something up in RealBasic or C# but it will be easier if any one already knows of such programs that look real but aren't of course. If any one is willing to write a small IP trace (visual/matrix like) that would be great) all programs will be ran on Ubuntu 10.04 or 9.10.

And yes i know the pain you feel when reading "hollywood style" but my prof said it was the only way i could do such a movie so that those who aren't techie still find it interesting :(

thank you,

x942

Using social engineering to gain access to some where (e.g. an office) and staying there while office security are around could be tension element.

Could also use other methods of deception to such as a suit case with a false side panel that only opens when the case is opened up side down to reveal a laptop or similar.

Could make use of a RFID scanners to duplicate RFID cards.

The plot could focus around the 'good' hackers framing the 'evil' hacker (the reverse of Hackers basically). There probably needs to be a reason for this though, like the evil guy framed the good guys or similar, so they frame him but much worse and using a much more elaborate method.

Its a tough one, hacking is largely about people sitting in dark rooms alone at night chatting via IRC. Unless you go the Die Hard 4 route, which is expensive, then you might want to try something in the style of Super Bad/Adventureland.

Guest Deleted_Account
maybe something like this dude...

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/futuristic_hud/

but more computer/hacking oriented

Okay that HUD is amazing! Maybe i could use it some how. I really wish it didnt have to be hollywood style it takes away from the realistic element.

Using social engineering to gain access to some where (e.g. an office) and staying there while office security are around could be tension element.

Could also use other methods of deception to such as a suit case with a false side panel that only opens when the case is opened up side down to reveal a laptop or similar.

Could make use of a RFID scanners to duplicate RFID cards.

The plot could focus around the 'good' hackers framing the 'evil' hacker (the reverse of Hackers basically). There probably needs to be a reason for this though, like the evil guy framed the good guys or similar, so they frame him but much worse and using a much more elaborate method.

All good ideas love the RFID scanners and Suitcase both shouldnt be too hard I have an RFID scanner and old suitcase maybe i could have the hackers intercept the guys Credit Card Number and pin? (saw this on the news). For social engineering that could be used in the scene where they are trying to break into the Bank's network, i mean considering most banks would probably be too secure for a normal attack like metasploit our even backdoors in my experience at least when i did some pentesting at a bank they were all running Unix or BSD systems with an overlay of somekind to make them "easier" to use for the non-geeks. Not to mention it was on a closed network and everything was encrypted with AES-256 bit in XTS mode :P but anyways back on topic Social Engineering would work perfectly in this case call up with a "Problem" and then demand the passwords and logins to the system :) How about the Social Engineering Toolkit? trying to stay realistic still but i havent checked would it work against a BSD system or no? im going to go with no since general BSD is very stable and secure not to mention the Sysadmin would obviously have secured it further. :)

Its a tough one, hacking is largely about people sitting in dark rooms alone at night chatting via IRC. Unless you go the Die Hard 4 route, which is expensive, then you might want to try something in the style of Super Bad/Adventureland.

That is very true however if i did that i would probably fail :P lol but again i dont want to be to hollywood just enough to keep the non-geeks entertained while watching if it were up to me it would be all realistic and well it would probably end up being a 3 hour movie unless i cut some of the hacking out :P but ill have to get some IRC in there not to mention the opening scene mentions Hak5 :)

Okay that HUD is amazing! Maybe i could use it some how. I really wish it didnt have to be hollywood style it takes away from the realistic element.

You could do a shot where the camera is 'behind' a screen, this can also be done with eye scanners and other things people have to stand in front of to use.

By DH4 route, I mean lots of running about , different locations, fancy sets. If you opt for the Super Bad style you don't have to be flashy and Hollywood, you have to work more in the dialog, which would be adventagous as you probally don't have the cash for flashy sets, and real hacking (which you want to stay true to) is just boring text interfaces and laptops.

Guest Deleted_Account
You could do a shot where the camera is 'behind' a screen, this can also be done with eye scanners and other things people have to stand in front of to use.

hmm.. that could be interesting. I wonder if i used a multi-touch table like this

Could attach a camera inside and have it shoot through the screen and see us touching it? and then i would just through over some effects and stuff to make it look like we are "hacking". Oh and for front view maybe i could throw an overlay over the normal shell ?

By DH4 route, I mean lots of running about , different locations, fancy sets. If you opt for the Super Bad style you don't have to be flashy and Hollywood, you have to work more in the dialog, which would be adventagous as you probally don't have the cash for flashy sets, and real hacking (which you want to stay true to) is just boring text interfaces and laptops.

Oh i see what you are saying know! Yes Super Bad style works well especially with this type of movie and yes real hacking would look/ be boring to the average user (which is quite a disappointment). For the IP tracing i did manage to throw together a quick RealBasic script and it looks "hollywood real" Also did one for GPS tracking.

Guest Deleted_Account
Are we going to get to see this movie when its finished ? :D

haha :P you bet ill through it up on youtube and post the link here :)