Keyboard Hack

tabath

Hi,

The u key on my dell laptop has stopped working, I've taken the cap off and checked the retainer which is ok, taken the silicon cap off which is ok, it seems to be a problem with the contact being made underneath but I don't know why. Anyway found a nifty utility that would alter the registry for me and map the u to an alternative ket. In my case I picked the right shift key.

Things is it didn't work , I've gone to microsoft site and read their scan code mapper for windows help page:(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx)

I looked at the changes tweakkey had made to the rgistry and it seemed to me that the third DWORD value( number of mappings ) should be 03 00 00 00 and not the 02 00 00 00 that tweak key had put in.

Here is the full scan code map data that is in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 36 00 16 00 00 00 00 00

Anyway still no joy. Has anyone her done anything similar and if so can you help?

Cheers

Edited by tabath

Use the on screen keyboard until you buy a new one.

Open the run prompt and type in "osk"

Edited by digip

Use the on screen keyboard until you buy a new one.

Open the run prompt and type in "osk"

Thanks digip, will do that in the meantime but have become quite interested in this from a fun POV,thinking about a nifty little utility to screw around with mates computers by remapping various keys:) Just for a bit of fun of course

Thanks digip, will do that in the meantime but have become quite interested in this from a fun POV,thinking about a nifty little utility to screw around with mates computers by remapping various keys:) Just for a bit of fun of course

Could change their keyboards default country/region mapping, which would move things around a bit too.

• 1 month later...

In the mean time you could use an external portable keyboard, while you get internal repaired. I know it may not sound very convenient but should be good enough.