Good Directions To Install Jasager On Open-mesh?

Demo

I just received my open mesh router today. Now I was trying to follow the steps from:

http://www.digininja.org/jasager/installation.php , but the installation directions assume that I'm using a FON. The open mesh comes with SSH enabled as well as telnet into Redboot so I can't really follow the steps from digininja (step by step). I looked through http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Fon_Jasager_Install which walks through the setup of FON 2100 which is also considered an open mesh, but the steps use jasager_1.2 and digininja's site has Jasager package 2.1. It's kind of hard to follow steps from one post and then jump to another post to get the rest of the directions.

Does anyone know how I can install the latest jasager on an open mesh mini router knowing that it comes with SSH enabled as well as telnet into redboot??

p.s. I have looked through most of the posts, but none that I found can direct me to specific directions for open mesh. Most if not all use Fon or Fon + or so.

I just received my open mesh router today. Now I was trying to follow the steps from:

http://www.digininja.org/jasager/installation.php , but the installation directions assume that I'm using a FON. The open mesh comes with SSH enabled as well as telnet into Redboot so I can't really follow the steps from digininja (step by step). I looked through http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Fon_Jasager_Install which walks through the setup of FON 2100 which is also considered an open mesh, but the steps use jasager_1.2 and digininja's site has Jasager package 2.1. It's kind of hard to follow steps from one post and then jump to another post to get the rest of the directions.

Does anyone know how I can install the latest jasager on an open mesh mini router knowing that it comes with SSH enabled as well as telnet into redboot??

p.s. I have looked through most of the posts, but none that I found can direct me to specific directions for open mesh. Most if not all use Fon or Fon + or so.

The Open-Mesh mini router is the same as a Fon 2100. See this post:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=12833

digininja's instructions should work just fine.

Ok, I figured it out. Kinda sad because I made it seem complicated with different steps but actually the whole process is simple and didn't take long. I got Karma, Webif installed now on the open mesh. I will write up a quick summary and post it .. maybe it will help someone who's struggling.

All i got to do now is learn how to setup the pineapple and use it.

Thanks for the help ..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really following the problem you're having, but it seems like you are going through extra steps that are not really needed for an open mesh router.

Here is what I can tell you to do, and I've followed those steps at least 6 times and all worked.

Go to http://www.digininja.org/jasager/download.php and download the latest firmware.

Next use winrar or 7zip and extract the files from the file you downloaded and put them on your desktop.

Then make sure you have wincap installed.

Visit http://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloads/f...ash-windows.zip and download the file for fon flash (will make everything easier).

This fon flash program will make it easy for you to flash your open mesh with the latest firmware and you won't need to mess with any commands (for now).

I think Darren's post has a picture of this and how to use it.

Note: I noticed that sometimes my firewall interferes with the fon flash program, so what I did is disable the wireless and shutdown my firewall program and ran the fon flash and everything went smooth.

So after you are done with flashing open mesh, telnet into it and change the password, then SSH into it using putty and use winscp to transfer the haserl and webif files to the /tmp/ folder on the open mesh.

in putty run those commands:

opkg install /tmp/haserl.ipk

then

opkg install /tmp/webif.ipk

(make sure you include the full file name in both commands.)

you're all done...with flashing and adding the extra stuff.

So with the open mesh you don't need to go to enable redboot or ssh.. all that comes with the mesh by default.

if you look at Darren's post for the installation on the fon just skip steps 1-10 and don't look at them.

Start with step 11.

ok ya i didnt install the package i installed the firmware with the first set of instructions on digininja's instructions site vs installing just the package. ill try that way and c how i do! thanks!!!

So after you are done with flashing open mesh, telnet into it and change the password, then SSH into it using putty and use winscp to transfer the haserl and webif files to the /tmp/ folder on the open mesh.

in putty run those commands:

opkg install /tmp/haserl.ipk

then

opkg install /tmp/webif.ipk

(make sure you include the full file name in both commands.)

ok cool but where did u get the latest haserl.ipk & webif.ipk files? they are in the download at the btm of darrens post but are those really old? the post is from 2005... is it kept up to date or is there somewhere else i should download them from?

thanks!!!

That I don't remember, sorry I didn't add the link to my favorite, I remember both files were on the same page. I got both of them from a post here, don't think it was Darren's though. Maybe someone can guide you to the most recent files... so I can try them too if they are newer than mine :D

Had the open-mesh for about two weeks now. Out of the box I was able to start at step 11, flash it and get it up and running. Thanks!

But... While tinkering I tried to change the IP address of the Ethernet interface, and screwed it up somehow. I couldn't connect to it though that interface, so I tried using the web interface and was able to connect to it though that but when I tried to change the Ethernet interface back, the wifi interface died too.

So I tried flashing it, but I would get a redboot: telnet not enabled. Emailed open-mesh and they have a flash utility as well, so I tried using that and it works fine. I can select the openwrt images and flash with those, but I'm still unable to flash using the utility in the guide. I've flashed it a few times trying various images but I'm still unable to connect via telnet/ssh to it. I've tried running a DHCP server on my system to see if it wasn't getting an IP, tried using my router, and tried the static IPs of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.10.1 but still can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I have flashed my open-mesh professional OM1P a half a dozen times now in various ways.

No matter what I do, or what OS I am using, I cannot ping, ssh, ftp, sftp, scp, telnet into the router.

I don't know if my NIC isn't properly configured, or if something else is wrong, but the flash goes fine (seemingly), but once it is done, I can't do anything. No wireless broadcast, no nothing.

Frustrating.

If anyone knows why, please explain.

Which firmware are you flashing it with?

Possible reasons for not being able to contact it are:

IP conflict on the network

PC and Fon being on different subnets

The firmware you are flashing it with expecting DHCP but none offered - doubt this but never know

Which firmware are you flashing it with?

Possible reasons for not being able to contact it are:

IP conflict on the network

PC and Fon being on different subnets

The firmware you are flashing it with expecting DHCP but none offered - doubt this but never know

I have flashed with the "Jasager Firmware 1.0", with my laptop connected to the only port on this router, the wan port.

The only conflict it could have is with my laptop, and I have set my laptop's IP to 192.168.1.2, .99, etc etc

I have also attached to to another router with DHCP to see if it was looking for an IP address, but it never received one.

I have read elsewhere that these may have a problem rebooting after the flash, and seem to get stuck.

They can be re-flashed once they reach this state, but there does not seem to be anything else that can be done with them from this state.

I have also tried looking for it on a different subnet. But I have been unable to communicate with it.

Could it have anything to do with this router being previously setup with http://dashboard.open-mesh.com ?

I have read that you shouldn't allow the FON to update before flashing, but I didn't read anything about the open-mesh, so I didn't hesitate to plug it into a router and allow it to get an internet connection when I first got it.

There could be something special in the open mesh devices that is causing this problem, I don't have one so can't test it. Best thing to do is get hold of a serial cable, plug it in and watch it boot, see what happens and if it does get stuck somewhere.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas.

I know people have had problems with the Watchdog causing it to reboot every 5 minutes.

But, I am not sure if that could have anything to do with the current problem.

I have also read that you have to telnet or SSH on port 9000, or that the router has an IP of something other than 192.168.x.x

Are all the ports and addresses hardcoded in your package?

Or is there some chance I just haven't found the right address/port combo yet?

Also, while watching the Gargoyle Fonflash utility work, I notice the addresses 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1 fly by, but it is too fast for me to read, esp on my netbook.

I have tried those addresses, but no luck.

Anyone have any clues? Can anyone confirm they have this working on the open-mesh "professional" with the watchdog feature?

Thanks for your input digi, I'll keep working on this. If all else fails, I'll round up a serial cable.

redboot is on port 9000. The Fon by default (except in the UK) listens for up to 4 seconds on 192.168.1.1 immediately on power on and the only port is port 9000. To get into redboot you need to send a ctrl-c within those few seconds to get a prompt.

The open mesh is probably the same, that would explain what you are seeing. Try setting a ping going for 192.168.1.1 then power the device on, when I do it I see 4 responses on power on then nothing while the Fon is booting.

My firmware is based on a raw openwrt release so it should come up with telnet open by default on port 23 and web on 80 and Jasager on 1471. To enable ssh you need to telnet in and set a password with passwd. I can't say whether 22 is open before this is done or not or if the act of setting the password opens 22. I remember thinking it was quite a cool script that someone had written to get it working the way it does.

Not sure if this helps or not but hopefully it explains a bit about what is going on.

Script started on Tue 06 Apr 2010 01:26:14 PM EDT

]0;root@Kubuntu: / root@Kubuntu:/# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

]0;root@Kubuntu: / root@Kubuntu:/# ping 192.168.1.1

PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

. . .

From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=23 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=24 Destination Host Unreachable

^C

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---

27 packets transmitted, 0 received, +24 errors, 100% packet loss, time 26124ms

, pipe 3

]0;root@Kubuntu: / root@Kubuntu:/# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

]0;root@Kubuntu: / root@Kubuntu:/# ping 192.168.0.1

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

. . .

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=13 Destination Host Unreachable

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=2686 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=1677 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=16 ttl=64 time=669 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=0.365 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=18 ttl=64 time=0.473 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=19 ttl=64 time=0.481 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=64 time=11.2 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=21 ttl=64 time=6.20 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=22 ttl=64 time=2.81 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=23 ttl=64 time=10.6 ms

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=60 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=61 Destination Host Unreachable

. . .

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=85 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=86 Destination Host Unreachable

^C

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---

88 packets transmitted, 10 received, +39 errors, 88% packet loss, time 87470ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.365/506.619/2686.528/889.621 ms, pipe 3

]0;root@Kubuntu:/# exit

exit

Script done on Tue 06 Apr 2010 01:28:35 PM EDT

So it is on 192.168.0.1, very briefly.

Guide me digi...

Edited by MTCONE

Connected to 192.168.0.1.

Escape character is '^]'.

== Executing boot script in 2.560 seconds - enter ^C to abort

Alright, this is as far as I have gotten. What steps do I take from here?

ctrl+c doesn't appear to do anything.

ctrl+] just brings me to... telnet>

I have not been able to issue 'passwd' since it is an invalid command.

The way I have it set up is side by side terminals with a ping running in one, and "telnet 192.168.0.1 9000" waiting in the other. As soon as the ping is returned, I hit enter on the telnet.

It supposedly lets me connect, but eventually the pings stop returning and nothing changes on the telnet side.

If you are trying it through linux use the redboot script to send the ctrl-c as you can't send it through a normal telnet console.

Check my site for it, it will run the ping and connect as soon as it can then issue the ctrl-c for you to give you the redboot shell.

If you are trying it through linux use the redboot script to send the ctrl-c as you can't send it through a normal telnet console.

Check my site for it, it will run the ping and connect as soon as it can then issue the ctrl-c for you to give you the redboot shell.

Oh, nice!

I was wondering how the hell that was supposed to work. Couldn't imagine ctrl+c was going to effect anything on the router via telnet.

I'll get on that ASAP.

Thanks for all the help digi. Sorry for bein such a noobtard.

Trying 192.168.0.1...

Connected to 192.168.0.1.

Escape character is '^]'.

RedBoot> ip_address -l 192.168.0.1/24 -h 192.168.0.254

IP: 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Default server: 192.168.0.254

RedBoot> fis init

About to initialize [format] FLASH image system - continue (y/n)? y

*** Initialize FLASH Image System

... Erase from 0xa87e0000-0xa87f0000: .

... Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xa87e0000: .

RedBoot> load -r -b %{FREEMEMLO} openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma

Using default protocol (TFTP)

TFTP timed out 1/15

Can't load 'openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma': operation timed out

Any idea why I can't tftp?

Is your tftp server up and running and pointing at the right directory? Of all the parts of working with Fons the worst part for me is always getting tftp working, for some reason it is never as easy as it should be.

Check with ps to see if there is a mention of tftp, check with netstat -an to see if port 69 udp is open and if all that is good check that you can use a tftp client on your local machine to grab the same file.