Wont Make Ssid's

ok so i set up Jasager on my open mesh router and i can get to the interface

I can turn on Karma and that works great but from there i have no luck

it can run for a long time but on any of my test computers it wont reproduce any known networks and nothing shows up in the log

if i press the change button for blacklist to whitelist the log starts flashing "SSID [ssid] not found in whitelist so rejecting." with 30 or 40 SSID's so it is finding them however it never seems to respond t them... what am i doing wrong?

ok so i dont know if this could have anything to do with it or not you tell me...

i followed the firmware users directions from http://www.digininja.org/jasager/installation.php

however on the open mesh router i had to use 192.168.0.1 to flash during boot and when i got to

RedBoot> fconfig

[snip]

Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 2 <<< is set to 3 and i hiting backspace cant change

[snip]

Local IP address: 192.168.1.1 <<< is set to 192.168.0.1 and cant change however when i access Jasager i still have to access it on 192.168.1.1 and the interface does load

could this be the issue?

if so... what can i do?

ok i have yet to get this working i can have a target laptop beside me and it is looking for known networks however it does not see any....

this is what ive been doing to try and test

plug in the router connect to the Jasager gui and turn on karma

then wait.......

the Jasager box shows nothing in the log at all

if i switc to whitelist mode the log goes crazy! and starts flashing

Jan 1 00:03:49 kernel: KARMA: ssid ["SSID"] not found in whitelist so rejecting

with about 30 or 40 of the SSID's my target has connected to in the past but when i turn back to blacklist nothing hapens....

:(

Sounds like you are expecting the wrong thing.

All the Karma patches do is to accept probe requests for any ESSID they do not beacon out ESSIDs so you have to have your PC ask for a network for it to respond. The fact that when you turn it to white list mode it rejects requests means that it is getting requests that it is accepting in black list mode.

My guess is that if you are probing for different ESSIDs then they are probably expecting encryption so when Karma replies without offering encryption they are disassociating. Try manually adding a network to your (I guess) windows PNL and see if that associates.

ya i understand thats what it does however of the 30 or 40 ssid's that go past around 12-15 are for coffee shops and airports all with no encryption...

i am using my work laptop a windows pc as my target so i did as u said and manually added a network by the name "abctestssid" it sat for a long time and then said failed to connect i also tried this on my ubuntu netbook and after sitting for a long time it asked me for the wpa key and that seemed odd to me

the only person who has ever shown up in my client list was the same mac address and kept connecting to the OpenWrt ssid of the fon so i changed it thinking someone nearby must have set a computer to connect to an openwrt ap at some point, i changed the ssid to 32749645 and right away same guy connects... so im assuming someone nearby is simply looking for free internet as in the client list the ssid next to his name is always the one i set in the device and if i set it to not broadcast ssid he does not connect.

however aside from simply connecting to the routers programed ssid i have yet to get one of my target machines to connect to the box

ya i understand thats what it does however of the 30 or 40 ssid's that go past around 12-15 are for coffee shops and airports all with no encryption...

i am using my work laptop a windows pc as my target so i did as u said and manually added a network by the name "abctestssid" it sat for a long time and then said failed to connect i also tried this on my ubuntu netbook and after sitting for a long time it asked me for the wpa key and that seemed odd to me

Have you tested that with your own wireless network?

I mean that if you have laptop x which works ok with your wireless network and then you turn off your wireless card on your laptop and now start up your jasager box and ICS and so on... turn off your wireless home network also.

After your jasager is running try to connect your homenetwork with your laptop... did it work?

If you have never connected to "abctestssid" with your laptop it probably doesn't work ok with jasager.

Sorry about my bad english but hopefully somebody understand what I'm trying to say =)

ok back to update i tried Whig's idea and created an unsecured ap with a spare wrt54gl connected to it then unpluged it and still no luck so i went back to the start and reflashed and refashed and reflashed 7 more times

then i said screw it and pulled a brand new fon from the box and tried again worked first time! 100%!

i found that strange so i flashed dd-wrt on the first one and added it to my home network and tried to access the wifi but no luck i could see it but couldnt log in. after trying about 40 times i got in 6 times so i sent off an email to open-mesh.com and asked about it they said it could be a hardware issue and they will send me a replacement

A+++ customer service

if u need a fon type device i recommend them!

thank you all for trying to help!!!!

Congratulations man..

your experience makes me wonder about my open mesh.. I have a similar problem (not connecting to any SSID) and when I do it manually it doesn't connect fully and let the user browse the internet.

I will keep what happened with you in mind.. I gotta make sure the setup I have with ICS is all ok before crushing the open mesh I got. Seriously it's driving me crazy not being able to get it to work

What ICS did you use? Windows? Linux?

Does your setup shows the IP address in Karma page when a client connects?

Congratulations man..

your experience makes me wonder about my open mesh.. I have a similar problem (not connecting to any SSID) and when I do it manually it doesn't connect fully and let the user browse the internet.

I had similar kind of problem when I tried to get my jasager work and then (if I remember correctly) problem was DNS. So when you connect your Jasager box manually check which DNS server IP's it gives to your clients.

If you ping www.google.com and google with IP does both fail?

no, that's the thing. When I ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com from the open mesh it works fine and I get all the replies back.

I'm now suspecting that my open mesh is faulty, but I want to be sure before going and buying another one and have the same problems I'm having.

no, that's the thing. When I ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com from the open mesh it works fine and I get all the replies back.

I'm now suspecting that my open mesh is faulty, but I want to be sure before going and buying another one and have the same problems I'm having.

i was having the same issue with my second router at first i just kept playing with ip setting and added the open dns ip's to the webif sadly right now i have the open mesh dhcp on but not getting ip's in the Jasager interface every one keeps saying use the Jasager dhcp not the laptops dhcp however i cant figure out how to turn off the windows one? i have it working like this on window although i have tried the ics on windows mac and ubuntu

if u think the issue could be the router u could try installing dd-wrt and see if you get connections and internet correctly the only reason i picked dd-wrt is because it has a very very simple ui to setup and there are lots of tutorials on how to put it on the fon

i should say i ordered 23 (the price drops when u hit 20 i coulda proly done with 10-15) routers 3 just for me and 20 for a mesh project im working on and i only had the issue with one of them the other 22 have all been installed and seem to be working great and the one i had the issue with the antenna was damaged in shipping so i dono if something else could have happened to it as well

Well I'm going for the setup that has dhcp running on the open mesh. Check out the post that I started earlier "bridging in linux", echoblack gave me some directions on how to have the ip address show in karma.. it didn't work all the way for me but try it with your router and see if you have better luck

will do! i'll test that tonight.

the idea is that i will use my fit-pc2 to run the device http://www.fit-pc.com

it's a great little 1.6ghz device the size of the fon that runs on only 5w of power so ill set that up this weekend i think. the best part is no shortage of space so it can just dump to a file and not worry about space or speed (running ubuntu on it right now)