University is blocking IRC

7h3kk1d

I think my school is blocking irc but I'm not sure, I just know it works at home and doesn't work here. I was wondering what would be the best/easiest way to circumvent this issue if i didn't have a remote server and what would be the best way if i did.

Proxy, vpn, tunnel, etc. Could also try Java web clients if you trust/can find one.

So you have internet at home, correct? Well heres one thing that you can do:

If you have a router that is supported by Tomato firmware, install that on the home router. You can then ssh into the router directly and forward ports that way. This is how I forward my traffic while on unsecured APs.

Of course, this is assuming your parents would allow you to do this. If your ISP blocks port 22, just use another port. I actually use a non-standard port to ssh into my router. Also, ensure that you disable telnet. And change your default admin password (duh).

That's an awesome idea thank you so much

Note of caution: if you decide to flash your router with the Tomato firmware, make sure you are connected to the router via ethernet. I made the mistake of updating my firmware (from an older version of tomato to the latest) over wifi. Well my connection dropped midway through and my router was semi-bricked for an hour. I got lucky and was able to resuscitat.

Note of caution: if you decide to flash your router with the Tomato firmware, make sure you are connected to the router via ethernet. I made the mistake of updating my firmware (from an older version of tomato to the latest) over wifi. Well my connection dropped midway through and my router was semi-bricked for an hour. I got lucky and was able to resuscitat.

Okay, thanks man